Part-time Floater Librarian, Worcester Public Library, Worcester MA
posted October 4, 2013 3:40 PM
PART-TIME FLOATER LIBRARIAN
SALARY: $21,132.32 - $30,754.05 annually; $20.25 - $29.47 hourly
A beginning professional position under the general direction of the Associate Head Librarian with supervision as assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Performs various tasks requiring a broad knowledge of professional literature, bibliographic sources and principles of information delivery and services.
- Provides excellent customer service to the public in person and online at assigned locations
- Collaborates with a team of professional and paralibrarian staff and with other city agencies
- Promotes quality collections in all formats
- Maintains a working knowledge of library resources and an awareness of new resources and technologies and effectively uses and teaches the library's resources
- Participates in the development and implementation of strategic partnerships with community groups, government agencies, and other organizations as assigned
- Interprets library services and policies to customers in a clear and courteous manner
- Actively participates in staff development and training opportunities when appropriate
- Works at any library department and location, including mobile library services
- May schedule, supervise and evaluate pages, interns and volunteers
- Performs other tasks, as assigned, consistent with the functions of the work unit and level of responsibility.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATION STANDARDS FOR PERFORMING ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Demonstrated proficiency in current and emerging technologies and their applications
- Commitment to excellent customer service to a diverse community
- Demonstrated knowledge of search skills using paper and electronic resources
- Show enthusiasm and flexibility
- Embrace opportunities to learn in a changing environment
- Demonstrate proficiency in current and emerging technologies and their applications
- Ability to create positive working relationships in a team environment
- Ability to initiate, organize, and self-direct work responsibility under moderate supervision
- Ability to collaborate and create positive working relationships with all staff
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Physical ability to push carts and bins loaded with library materials
- Ability to reach and retrieve library materials at high and low shelf heights
Education: MLS from a library school accredited by the American Library Association or approved by the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners.
Experience: Relevant experience will be considered.
Schedule: Includes evening/weekend assignments and working at any other library location or department as needed.
Other: While performing the duties of this job, the employee will frequently walk, stand, bend, stoop and reach above the head. Strength is needed to push loaded book trucks. Ability to work with the public for periods of a minimum of two hours at a time while maintaining good communication.
Language: Second language
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume and cover letter on or before Friday, October 18, 2013 to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. EOE/AA employer. Preference given to Worcester residents.