Reference Librarian/Technologist, Nantucket Atheneum, Nantucket MA
posted October 18, 2013 4:01 PM
TITLE OF POSITION
LOCATION OF POSITION
Nantucket Atheneum Reference Department - Nantucket, MA
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Full time 37.5+ hour professional position in Reference department of the Nantucket Atheneum includes regular evening and weekend hours. Duties include advanced reference services, interlibrary loan, cataloging, and reference promotion of services. In addition, this applicant will develop & teach the library's Information Literacy classes and will identify initiatives to enhance library services and resources.
NECESSARY SKILLS OF POSITION
Critical skills include demonstrated knowledge of advanced 'personal' technology (smartphones, tablets, eReader, computers, etc) used in the delivery of library content online. The applicants need the ability to instruct patrons in the use of technology to access that catalog, databases, and online library services. The applicant must have the ability to function effectively in a team environment, and facilitate cross-departmental 'technology' reference. A strong familiarity with circulation librarian skills and a keen ability to learn are crucial.
Ability to stand or sit for extended time to use computer workstations, including keyboard and visual display terminal. Strength to push or pull a loaded book cart that can weigh in excess of 100 pounds on level floor, to lift or maneuver loads up to 35 pounds onto carts, and to carry cartons of books. Must be able to pay close attention to details and concentrate on work. Sufficient vision or powers of observation to permit employee to read books and patron requests. Sufficient clarity of writing, speech, and hearing or other communication capabilities that permit effective communication. Sufficient manual dexterity that permits the employee to type and record library files. Normal office exposure to noise, stress, and interruptions.
- An MLS/MLIS from accredited institution
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Enthusiasm for working with the public, tact, patience, maturity, and friendliness
- Consistent punctuality, dependability, and flexibility to fill in as scheduling demands including nights and weekends
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, and to work with diverse populations
- Ability to work in both PC and Apple operating system environments
- Demonstrated knowledge of reference & adult circulation services
- Demonstrated knowledge of 'information literacy' concepts and applications
- Demonstrated knowledge of MS Office based documents and/or web-based resources
- Demonstrated knowledge of presentation/publishing tools
- Demonstrated knowledge of or desire to learn multimedia design and production
- Demonstrated knowledge of or desire to learn teaching library services classes
SALARY AND BENEFITS
This position is a permanent full-time (37.5+ hrs per week) professional position, reporting to Head Reference Librarian, serving at the pleasure of the Director. Benefits provided if applicable to hours worked, and salary commensurate with experience.
PROCEDURE FOR APPLICATION
A cover letter of application, a resume and three references should be sent to:
Lincoln J Thurber, Head Reference Librarian Nantucket Atheneum
1 India Street
Nantucket, MA 02554
508-228-1110 ext 110
Applications must be received by Nov 30th 2013
Starting date for the position: Nov/Dec 2013