Social Sciences Librarian, Assistant or Associate Professor, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, Edwardsville IL
posted October 31, 2013 4:39 PM
Social Sciences Librarian, Assistant or Associate Professor
Library and Information Services
The Social Sciences Librarian is responsible for serving as the subject liaison for the following departments: Historical Studies, Political Science, Public Administration and Policy Analysis, Sociology & Criminal Justice and teaches information literacy and selects appropriate information resources in support of the departments' curriculum and research. The Social Sciences Librarian reports to the Director of the Research Commons, who reports to the Dean of Library and Information Services. Working in a collaborative and collegial environment, the Social Sciences Librarian participates in achieving departmental and library goals.
- Consults with departmental or school liaisons in determining collection development decisions
- Teaches workshops, information literacy classes, and participates teaching courses for departments or schools
- Creates teaching modules, bibliographies, and other finding aids
- Provides reference services in person and through various digital methods
- Works with the Department of Technical Services in the ordering of monographs, journals, online databases, etc.
- Delivers library services and resources via the web and Blackboard
- Plans and administers materials budgets
- Participates in writing proposals and securing grants, particularly in the subject disciplines.
- A Master's degree in Library or Information Science from an ALA-accredited library school
- Knowledge of library and digital information resources, including online searching, bibliographic search systems (such as online catalogs, federated search engine and link resolvers), learning management systems and the internet
- Excellent interpersonal relations skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a collaborative environment
- Excellent teaching skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong commitment to user-centered services and service excellence
- Professional commitment to librarianship and ability to meet LIS and University standards in librarianship, scholarship and professional service in fulfillment of tenure requirements.
Two years of experience in an academic library and an advanced degree or coursework in a social sciences discipline.
Terms of Appointment
Assistant or Associate Professor, 12-month continuing contract, tenure-track position. Tenure-track positions require excellence/meritorious in librarianship, scholarship, and professional service.
Source of Funds
Negotiable dependent upon credentials and experience, with a minimum salary of $42,000. Excellent fringe benefits.
Submit a letter of application, resume, transcripts and three current professional references to the address below or email your information to firstname.lastname@example.org:
Social Sciences Librarian Search Committee
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
Library and Information Services, Campus Box 1063
Edwardsville, IL 62026-1063
Review of completed applications will begin on November 14, 2013. Position will remain open until filled.