Child Education Internship, Pueblo a Pueblo, Santiago Atitlán, Sololá, Guatemala
posted November 1, 2013 4:06 PM
Description of Organization
Pueblo a Pueblo is a small nonprofit organization dedicated to assisting families in coffee growing communities in Guatemala. We are looking for a Guatemala Program Intern to support the Child Health and Education Program in our Santiago Atitlan office. This is an excellent opportunity to gain valuable international work experience.
The program intern will provide overall administrative and programmatic support to the Child Health and Education Program and will report directly to the Program Manager. S/he must be prepared to work a minimum of 30 hours per week. Minimum 3-month commitment required.
- Development of library programming: support the school librarian in developing literary activities and afterschool programming for primary school students.
- Library cataloguing: work with school librarian on backlogged cataloguing, using library's FileMaker Pro database. Shelve books according to library organization plan.
- Maintain library organization: intern should conduct periodic shelf reading to ensure that material is shelved correctly.
- Provide communications/media support: assist in development of newsletters, blogs, FB, and information related to Pueblo a Pueblo programs for use on our website, organize and edit media from on the ground, etc.
- Support the Education Program Team in researching and developing program materials (for example content for teacher training sessions)
- Provide support in Spanish-English translation: for donor reports, sponsor communication and other.
- Support the program staff in other administrative tasks
- Take responsibility for communications with sponsors: includes translating and sending letters between sponsors and children, communicating directly with sponsors
- Current MLIS student or recent graduate preferred
- Experience in children's programming a plus
- Interest in education and literacy
- Good English writing skills.
- Intermediate-high knowledge of Spanish
- Good knowledge of the Office suite (Word, Excel and PPT required)
- Strong communication, intrapersonal and organization skills.
- Flexibility and ability to work in a cross-cultural environment
- Ability to work on a number of small projects simultaneously
About the Office:
We are a dynamic, driven and fun group of individuals. We have an energetic office culture that is hard-working and focused but a casual place to work. Our staff has a positive attitude and is determined to carry out our mission.
How to Apply:
Email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line "Guatemala CHE Program Intern." Please ensure that your cover letter states your availability, including available start and end date.
This is an unpaid internship.
Santiago Atitlán, Sololá, Guatemala
Start date: January 2013
End date: April 2013
Hours per week: 30-40
Stipend/Wage: Housing stipend may be available
Keywords: education, agriculture, food security