Content Analyst, Credo Reference, Boston MA
posted November 18, 2013 6:39 PM
Reports to: Director, Publishing
Credo publishes the very best reference content by licensing content from over 100 worldwide publishing partners. Credo is seeking a Content Analyst to join the Publishing team. This individual will be responsible for helping to publish content to Credo Reference platforms. You will work with partners to gather, manage and deliver book data and metadata. The ideal candidate will have a thorough understanding of library-industry metadata standards.
About the Job:
- Publishing. Help manage and coordinate the receipt of new and updated books from publishers. Prepare XML and media for publication within online products. Work with offshore vendors to ensure quality of data conversions. Review books for inclusion in Credo's products as part of the Content Acquisition process.
- Metadata. Manage book metadata (title, author, ISBN, subjects, etc.), process metadata (date on which we received files, etc.), and collection metadata (collections in which books are sold, based on publisher or subject) on reference books we publish electronically each year. Collect book metadata from publishers (or other sources, as needed) and enter it in Credo's QuickBase database. Manage projects involving research into new metadata. Distribute metadata to third-party vendors, including MARC record vendor and link-server providers, as needed.
- MARC records. Stay current on MARC record trends and changes and understand the impact on librarians. Work with Customer Support team to answer questions about MARC records.
- Topic Page targets. Gather and prioritize requests for new and updated metasearch configurations to third-party databases; this will involve coordinating with Credo's Support, Marketing and Sales teams. Work with publishers to get test/demo accounts and customer information. Write and maintain z39.50 configurations. Write specifications for API or screen-scraping configurations coordinate the programming effort with vendors, and test the completed configurations.
- You have an MLS degree (or are near completion) from an ALA-accredited program.
- You pay attention to every.single.detail.
- You are extremely organized and can manage multiple projects at one time.
- You are a strong writer.
- You have some experience working with at least a few of the following -
XML and XML editors (preferably Emacs)
DocBook 5 XML schema
PGAdmin and XML Gateways/APIs and comfortable with command-line applications
Library-industry standards (KBART, ONIX, OpenURL, Z39.50, SRU, etc.)
MARC records, not as deep as a cataloger's would be, but enough to spot a problem
Database system that creates reports based on specific parameters, i.e. QuickBase
- You are committed to adopting and supporting Credo's Core Values (see below).
Credo's Core Values:
- We have an attitude of service to each other, all stakeholders, and to the society we live in.
- We are always exploring all that is possible.
- We own our work, both individually and collectively.
- We need each other to succeed and inspire each other to bring our best selves to work.
- We take our work seriously but not ourselves.
Please e-mail your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org