Head Librarian, Worcester Public Library, Worcester MA
posted November 22, 2013 4:46 PM
The Worcester Public Library, one of New England's largest libraries, is a division of the City of Worcester's Office of the City Manager. The Library's twelve-member Board of Directors appoints and oversees the Head Librarian of the Worcester Public Library. The Head Librarian is responsible for overall leadership and direction for the Library and planning, organizing, directing and coordinating all activities of the Worcester Public Library.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provides insight and opportunity as City Department Head in all matters of public library access, function, facility and service
- Provides the Board of Directors with timely and professional counsel and caution, assuring a dynamic and responsive public library
- Influences staff with inspiration, opportunity, expectation and motivation, assuring a high performance and service driven community service
- Participates in legislation, professional organizations and other public arenas
- Administers approved budgets; both City and trust funds
- Supervises all staff including plans for expansion, reduction and organization responses
- Assures timely and appropriate communication to Boards, Volunteers, City Offices, Private and Public entities, and staff concerning library well-being and reporting requirements
- Plans for and oversees public library facilities, including mobile and branch sites; including redeployment, shared use, appearance, functionality, safety and service
- Prepares the annual Library budget for City and State funds according to the strategic plan and directives provided by the City of Worcester's Office of Administration and Finance for presentation to the Board of Directors and the City Council
- Prepares the annual fund budget for Library trust funds for approval by the Board of Directors' Committee on Finance. Presents monthly reports to the Committee on Finance and responds to informational requests of the Committee and Board members.
- Pursues City or other funding sources to meet strategic plan goals with direction from the Board of Directors
- Administers approved annual budgets; monitors receipts and expenditures; oversees grants
Policy, Research and Administration
- Assures talent and organization planning to meet strategic and community goals, including deployment, facilities' use and operation and overall Library administration
- Develops and implements service programs consistent with the Strategic Plan and the purposes of the Library.
- Recommends adoption of policies to the Board of Directors
- Informs the Board of Directors of changes in State and federal regulations and local political concerns affecting Library operations and articulates Library impact
- Maintains partnerships with Library consortia to sustain and expand resources and services
- Remains knowledgeable of library trends
- Attends professional meetings
- Maintains memberships in professional associations
- Master's in Library Science (MLS/MLIS) or equivalent and/or Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners approved Library School.
- Experience in library work including supervisory experience; certificate of professional librarianship issued by the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and communicate library goals.
- Demonstrated professional experience with talent and organization management in an urban setting.
- Demonstrated experience working with groups, such as the Board of Directors, Library Foundation, Friends of the Library, volunteers and other key community groups and stake holders for the purpose of achieving Library goals.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively as a municipal department head.
- Experience with a diverse population with multiple inclinations.
- Demonstrates responsible and responsive service to staff and patrons.
- Demonstrated verbal and written English skills.
- Provision of testament to effective interpersonal skills.
- Demonstration of effective mentoring for staff, for the development and maintenance of high functioning teams, and for individual staff development and performance management.
- Strong experience in fiscal management and investment protocols.
- Demonstrated experience with or extensive knowledge about development and vision for libraries.
- Demonstrated knowledge of best practices in library management and services, including technology.
- Demonstrates experience with planning and implementation.
- Ability to present a positive image for the library as a community leader and in professional activities.
- Supports intellectual freedom and the ALA code of ethics.
- Must be able to travel in a timely manner to meetings, branches, and other City offices.
The statements here are intended to describe the general nature and levels of work performed by the Head Librarian and are not to be considered an exhaustive list of skills and abilities that may be required to perform this job.
The Worcester Public Library makes every effort to support ALA's "Core Competences of
Librarianship" as approved and adopted as policy by the ALA Council, January 27th 2009 and as
an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer, values diversity and aims to have its
workforce reflect the community.
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume, cover letter and writing sample on or before Monday, December 16, 2013 to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. EOE/AA employer. Position will remain open until filled.