Information Services/Outreach Librarian, University of South Alabama, Mobile AL
posted November 1, 2013 3:35 PM
The Biomedical Library of the University of South Alabama is seeking a motivated, energetic librarian to promote the library and health care resources to the university community and surrounding area. Responsibilities include directing the library's outreach service to unaffiliated health related professionals and consumers, participation in bibliographic instruction, campus and hospital service. This entry level, tenure-track, faculty position at the Assistant Librarian rank reports to the Assistant Director for Public Services.
ALA-accredited MLS or equivalent; Excellent oral and written communication skills; Strong service orientation
Candidates with any combination of these qualifications: Demonstrated experience/interest in medical information; Presentation/teaching experience; Grant writing experience; Strong problem-solving and organizational and skills; Demonstrated knowledge of scientific research process, scholarly communication, copyright and intellectual property issues in teaching and clinical settings; Marketing or public relations experience; Experience with design/promotion software such as the Adobe Suite, Photoshop InDesign, etc.; Experience with social media tools such as Facebook, Twitter, etc.
• Promotes library services through individual contacts, newsletters, exhibits and other appropriate communication tools
• Assists Biomedical Library Director in administration of grant and awards received by the Biomedical Library
• Serves as library newsletter (Biofeedback) co-editor
• Plans activities for National Library Week, National Medical Libraries Month, etc.
• Staffs the reference desk, participates in a rotating night and weekend schedule
• Assists with bibliographic instruction/library education classes
• Assists with services to University hospitals
• Participates in Biomedical Library faculty planning and evaluation of library services and resources
• Professional development activities including: research and publication, professional continuing education, attendance of professional meetings, and other activities that support the University, its libraries and the profession
• Serves as liaison to one or more departments of the College of Medicine, Nursing or Allied Health Professions
• Other duties as assigned
Salary/Benefits: Salary range: $40,000-$42,000, based on qualifications. The University of South Alabama has excellent benefits including: 8+ holidays, 20 vacations days/year; life, health and disability insurance, state retirement plan and other retirement options
Review of applications will begin October 15, and applications will be accepted until the position is filled with start date as early as December 1, 2013. Submit letter of application, resume, and the names and contact information for at least three references to:
Chair, Outreach Librarian Search Committee
Biomedical Library, BLB 316
University of South Alabama
5691 USA Drive North
Mobile, AL 36688-0002