Library Applications Development Manager, University of Massachusetts Boston, Boston MA
posted November 2, 2013 12:47 PM
Duties/Description: Library Applications Development Manager
University of Massachusetts Boston
The Library Applications Development Manager is responsible for working with the Dean of University Libraries and other campus leadership to identify, discover, develop, and define new library-specific technology-related projects and applications, and making recommendations regarding the priorities of these projects. Duties include, but are not limited to: administering existing library systems and applications such as the integrated library system, inter-library loan, electronic reserves, proxy server, link resolver and related applications; conducting requirements analysis, architecture, design, coding, testing, development and support of digital library services systems; leading in the exploration and design, testing, and integration of new systems and databases to re-develop, enhance, or modify existing systems; maintaining and fostering linkages with
campus partners (Information Technology Services) and stakeholders (faculty, students, staff) in order to
understand needs and build information systems that improve access to library resources; researching products, services, and utilities that improve efficiencies, provide new services to library patrons, and improve access to the library's digital resources; communicating with the Library Dean and department heads to identify problems and provide reliable and sound technology-based solutions, as needed; maintaining security and confidentiality of sensitive data in accordance with University policies and procedures; defining processes for quality assurance and programming standards and security; working with UMass Information Technology Services (UITS) and UMass Boston campus departments to create data feeds to populate library systems; assisting the Library in maximizing data-driven decision-making through compiling and organizing system
statistics; training library staff on systems and applications as needed; performing other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: Minimum Requirements:
* Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a closely related field, Master's Degree in Computer Science, Library Science or a closely related field preferred, and a minimum of seven years experience in systems administration, programming, or applications development.
* Facility in developing system architectures, testing, deploying and supporting software systems for a large
population of location and remote users.
* Experience in web design and application development, requirements analysis and software project management.
* Experience in software development in Java or similar environments that interact with databases using variations of SQL.
* Experience with Voyager, E-Z Proxy, IIIiad, Docutek, Linux, Ruby on Rails, and Drupal is preferred. Knowledge of libraries and digital library services preferred.
* Ability to troubleshoot and resolve problems on software, hardware, networks, and computer interfaces.
* Ability to assess system performance, and assess and advise on technology related strategies.
* Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
* Ability to interact with and develop working relationships with all levels of staff, faculty, and vendors.
* Ability to use creativity in identifying complex problems and finding solutions quickly and accurately.
* Ability to change priorities as projects expand or project needs change.
* Attention to detail in communicating technical issues and implementing solutions.
* Demonstrated ability to support a user-centered service in a research-intensive, fast-paced, culturally diverse higher education environment.
Normal Hiring Range: $46,434 - $50,787
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter, and list
of three professional references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Closing Date: 01/24/2014