Library Director, Olin College of Engineering, Needham MA
posted November 18, 2013 6:09 PM
Job summary: Olin is currently recruiting an innovative leader in the role of Library Director. This forward thinking professional will work collaboratively across the community to continue the development of the resources, services and collections that support the teaching and research needs of the College.
The library is a dynamic virtual and physical space whose staff further Olin College's mission by selecting, developing, deploying, and managing resources and services that foster learning, discovery, and innovation. Library staff strives to embody Olin's philosophy of continual improvement by leveraging emerging technologies & practices to serve Olin and the broader learning community.
- Establish long-term goals, policies, and procedures for the library in accordance with the institution's mission and goals.
- Recruit, hire, manage, train, and evaluate staff; promote staff development activities.
- Prepare and recommend annual budget; monitor budget expenditures; solicit alternative funding sources; assist with grant preparation and writing.
- Work collaboratively with faculty and staff in developing, supporting and delivering Olin's engineering education.
- Take a leadership role in Babson-Olin-Wellesley Libraries partnership initiatives as well as general Three-College Collaboration initiatives.
- Collaborate with Olin's faculty, staff and students to assess, create, oversee and leverage innovative collections. Maintain vendor relationships and participate in consortia for resource sharing.
- Provide vision and leadership in the area of scholarly communications and open access.
- Deliver information services through reference, bibliographic instruction, searching of electronic resources, and through the creation of research and collection guides.
- Lead and actively participate in professional organizations that directly impact Olin's library and the professional development of the staff.
- Serve as campus contact for copyright and Intellectual Property queries, raise awareness of copyright issues in classrooms and with materials, facilitate the negotiation of intellectual rights management and obtaining of permissions.
- Other duties, assigned.
Supervises: Library Staff - currently 2 FTE plus student workers
- Budget management
- Customer service excellence
- Creativity and fluidity
- Clear and Timely Communication
- M.L.S. Degree and five+ years management experience in libraries.
- Science and/or engineering subject expertise. Familiarity with resources and research approaches in other areas, including the arts, humanities, and social sciences.
- Experience in developing new services.
- The ability to manage projects and people in an environment of continuous change and improvement.
- A clear vision of how information services can contribute to a learning community.
- A proven, strong service orientation.
- An understanding of trends in informational and educational technology.
- The ability to oversee, develop and deliver instructional services.
- Expertise in the application of technology to information utilization and management a plus.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com