Processing and Public Services Archivist, Purdue University, West Lafayette IN
posted November 30, 2013 2:21 PM
The Processing and Public Services Archivist is responsible for the general management and oversight of collections, accessioning, processing, and reference services for the Archives and Special Collections Division of the Purdue University Libraries.
- Master's degree in Library/Information Science with completion of graduate course work in archives.
- Two or more years of work experience working in an archives or special collections environment.
- Supervisory experience.
- Strong analytical and decision making skills.
- Experience arranging and describing a wide variety of types of archival materials.
- Experience using EAD, DACs, and MARC descriptive and cataloging standards.
- Familiarity with archival appraisal and accessioning practices.
- Knowledge of preservation methods for archival materials.
- Familiarity with issues related to managing electronic records.
- Experience providing reference services in a library or archives environment.
- Experience using Microsoft Office.
- Experience using Archon, Archivists' Toolkit, or similar archives content management system.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with ability to establish and maintain professional and effective working relationships with colleagues, faculty, staff, students, donors, and the public.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, team environment.
- Ability to work efficiently to meet goals and deadlines; familiarity with current trends in archival theory and practice.
- Demonstrated commitment to the archives profession.
- Ability to lift and carry 10-25 pounds frequently and 40 pounds occasionally.
- Experience working with electronic records or born digital manuscript collections, and with digitization and metadata creation for archives and special collections.
- A background check will be required for employment in this position.
- FLSA: Exempt (Not Eligible For Overtime)
- Retirement Eligibility: Defined Contribution Waiting Period.
- Purdue University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer.