Reference Department Head, Bangor Public Library, Bangor ME
posted November 14, 2013 7:49 PM
The Bangor Public Library seeks an innovative, collaborative and service-oriented leader for the position of Reference Department Head to continue the library's history of outstanding reference service while exploring and implementing new approaches to reference service and collection development. The successful candidate must be an accomplished leader and skilled in managing change. The position reports to the Director, supervises four professional librarians and one paraprofessional and includes services in reference, the digital library, local history, special collections, collection development and interlibrary loan. The Library is embarking on an interior redesign and, with the new design, hopes to expand and adapt services to meet the changing demands of our public.
Leadership and Management Responsibilities
- Leads a team to set and implement a vision for innovative information services in the areas of reference, interlibrary loan, the digital library, special collections, outreach and community relations. Fosters an environment that promotes exploration and implementation of new approaches to reference, access, and community relations as well as services delivered through social networking tools, Web 2.0 applications and mobile computing platforms.
- Directs the work of librarians and library staff who are responsible for research and reference services, local history and special collections, teaching and learning initiatives, and outreach activities in the community.
- Assesses effectiveness of the department's services using statistical analysis of service data. Keeps current on trends related to current services and processes and recommends new practices including innovative uses of technology.
- Mentors librarians and library staff in the Reference Department including hiring, orienting, training and development, organizing workloads, delegating responsibility, providing guidance and direction, monitoring and evaluating performance, coaching and counseling and taking disciplinary action as necessary.
- As a hands on leader of the department, provides reference services to patrons and participates in public programs as needed.
- Serves as library liaison to community organizations.
- Selects new books and journals for the Library's collection.
- Works with other Libraries in the state to preserve and create a shared print collection for both journals and monographs.
- Serves as editor for the Digital Commons.
- Works with the Director and other Department Heads to provide comfortable, meaningful access to Library collections and programs and develops those collections and programs to meet public interests and demands.
- Graduate degree in library/information science from ALA-accredited institution
- Five years of progressively responsible experience in a library, preferably a public library.
- Ability to articulate a vision for Reference services.
- Demonstrated leadership and a strong commitment to service excellence.
- Demonstrated team-building skills including the ability to motivate, develop and mentor others.
Salary and Benefits
Compensation is commensurate with experience. The position is a full time position, 37.5 hours/week, and includes some night and Saturday hours. The salary range begins at $41,834 and includes the following benefits: 11 paid holidays, 3 bonus days, paid sick leave and vacation. Health insurance and TIAA Cref retirement match, plus long and short term disability Insurance.
Please send cover letter and resume by Nov 30 to Business Office, Bangor Public Library, 145 Harlow St, Bangor, ME 04401