Director, Library Services at City of Hope, Duarte CA
posted December 13, 2013 5:30 PM
Requisition ID: 2875
Job Title: Director, Library Services
Position Summary and Key Responsibilities
The Director, Library Services provides leadership and oversight for the Library Services Department, which includes the Graff Library and City of Hope Archives. Core functions include:
- Create a vision for library services at City of Hope. Provide leadership for the department, including communicating a vision for library and archives programs that aligns with the City of Hope educational strategic plan and supports the clinical, research, and educational missions.
- Prepare and manage the department budget, ensuring that financial expenditures are aligned with the mission, goals, and strategic initiatives of the department and organization. Provide metrics to build a business case for subscription and infrastructure needs, mindful of the strategic priority to build efficiencies.
- Recruit, lead, and develop staff in a way that fosters engagement and high performance. Create and communicate clear performance metrics, accountabilities and plans to develop staff. Create succession plans for all staff positions.
- Lead the department's strategic planning, working with the staff to identify strategic directions, goals, and objectives aligned with stakeholder needs and the mission, goals, and strategic initiatives of the organization. Develop effective assessment tools, strategies and programs to continuously monitor and improve service. Develop and implement innovative licensing, technology and access models to serve constituencies.
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the organization to integrate library and archives resources and services into campus initiatives.
- Develop policies and procedures for the department.
- Promote the library to the campus and community through the use of social media, websites, newsletters and attendance at events and meetings. Manage marketing and communication for the library.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with staff, stakeholders, senior leadership, and library users.
- Oversee and support the day-to-day operations of the library.
- Provide excellent service to internal and external customers.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- Master of Library & Information Science (MLIS) or equivalent degree
- Requires at least 7 years progressively responsible experience in an academic and/or biomedical library
- Experience developing and managing budgets. Familiar with ROI analysis and use of metrics to build a business case for needs and to build efficiencies.
- Seasoned supervisor: familiar with performance metrics and development tools.
- Demonstrated knowledge/experience selecting and licensing biomedical information resources.
- Demonstrated knowledge of biomedical library operations in a variety of functional areas, including reference, collection development, interlibrary loan/document delivery, technical services, and systems
- Must be able to meet expectations in a changing environment.
- Must be cognizant of interdependencies between departments at City of Hope so that interaction is indicative of high performing teamwork.
- Strong customer service orientation.
Relocation assistance may apply for this opportunity.
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
City of Hope strongly supports and values the uniqueness of all individuals and promotes a work environment where diversity is embraced. Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
For consideration, apply at:
If you have questions, please contact: