Assistant Professor/Reference Librarian for Health Sciences, University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg MS
posted December 13, 2013 4:19 PM
The University of Southern Mississippi invites applicants for a full-time, 12-month, tenure-track faculty position as assistant professors/librarian in the Reference Services Department of Cook Library in the University Libraries to begin in April 2014.
(1) Assistant Professor/Reference Librarian for Health Sciences
Reference librarians are members of a team responsible for providing general and specialized reference, instruction and collection development services and report to the head of Reference Services.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Serves as primary contact between the Libraries and their assigned college(s) with regard to supporting the college's research resource and instructional needs
- Provides reference and directional assistance to all library users, in-person, by telephone and via electronic communication methods
- Provides instruction in the use of research resources through individual research consultations and formal class presentations
- Serves as bibliographer for assigned academic departments within the assigned college
- Prepares bibliographies, user guides, tutorials and other research resources as needed
- Creates and maintains Web content for selected subject areas and throughout the Libraries' website, as assigned
- Maintains knowledge and skills related to research resources and their delivery
- Provides service to the Libraries, the university, the profession and the community to fulfill the expectations for tenure and promotion
- Engages in research and scholarly activity to fulfill the expectations for tenure and promotion
- Works evenings, weekends and holidays in rotation with Reference Services Department personnel
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Master's degree in library or information science from a program accredited by the American Library Association is required
- Education (coursework or degree) or experience in the area of job emphasis
- Demonstrated experience using online databases and other types of research resources
- Demonstrated ability to teach the concepts and skills of information research in both formal and informal settings
- Knowledge of research resources in the area of job emphasis
- Demonstrated experience providing reference and instruction in an academic library
- Experience or interest in developing outreach programs that engage faculty and students with library research resources
To read the full job announcements and to apply for this positions, visit http://jobs.usm.edu.
Review of applications begins January 2, 2014; however, applications will continue to be accepted until position is filled.