Humanities and Social Science Librarian, Salem State University Library, Salem MA
posted December 4, 2013 4:27 PM
General Statement of Duties:
The Humanities and Social Science Librarian will serve as subject specialist and liaison between the library and assigned humanities and social science departments. The Librarian will provide specialized reference and research services, deliver library instruction sessions, create instructional materials, and develop the library's collections in assigned fields. He/she will participate in general library instruction, orientation, and information literacy initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Serves as a humanities and social science subject specialist and liaison between the Library and the assigned departments.
2. Responsible for all aspects of collection development in assigned fields, including policy, selection, assessment and weeding.
3. Provides specialized reference services for faculty and students in humanities and social science fields individually through a variety of avenues, including email, telephone, online and face-to-face.
4. Promotes and provides library instruction in support of assigned department courses, and in other disciplines as needed.
5. Maintains a web presence for library resources and services in assigned subject areas and creates print and online aids that publicize, provide information about, facilitate ease of use, and promote access to those services and resources.
6. Develops, maintains and regularly updates instructional materials, with an emphasis on online guides and tutorials.
7. Participates in general library instruction and information literacy initiatives, including general library orientations and tours.
8. Assists in accreditation, program review, and other official assessment processes.
9. Prepares and contributes to reports, publications, and other official documents.
10. Assists the Library in pursuing revenue-generating opportunities, including grant-writing.
11. Keeps apprised of relevant technologies and applies them in instructional outreach efforts.
12. Contributes to library and university-wide initiatives and projects.
Masters of Library Science or equivalent from an ALA accredited program.
Evidence of effective oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
Demonstrated working knowledge of current technologies, including online databases, instructional equipment and media, and the web.
Excellent presentation skills.
Demonstrated ability to work within a consultative team environment where collaboration and cooperation are essential.
Enthusiasm for library public service and information literacy.
Library experience in an academic setting.
Commitment to working in a multicultural environment with students of diverse backgrounds and learning styles.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please apply online and attach resume and cover letter. Three letters of recommendation should be sent to: Human Resources and Equal Opportunity, 352 Lafayette Street, Salem, MA 01970.
Employment is contingent upon a completed background check satisfactory to the University. Internal candidates are not subject to background check.