Librarian I: Youth Services Librarian, Cranston Public Library, Auburn Branch, Cranston RI
posted December 16, 2013 4:44 PM
The Cranston Public Library is seeking candidates for the position of Librarian I: Youth Services Librarian -Auburn Branch. Under general supervision of the Branch Librarian, with advice, guidance and direction from the Coordinator of Youth Services, is responsible for youth services in the branch library. This is a 35 hour per week position with some nights and weekends required.
The Cranston Public Library system consists of a central library with five branch locations. For more information on our library please visit: www.cranstonlibrary.org.
Salary range: $39,539.39-$53,043.33
- Master's Degree in Library Science from an institution accredited by the American Library Association.
- One year of experience in public library youth services.
- Ability to travel to required locations in a timely manner.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provides exemplary customer service.
- Builds, manages and promotes extraordinary collections for children and families.
- Develops a plan of service for young people and related populations in the neighborhood based on community needs and library goals.
- Plans, creates, conducts and evaluates innovative youth programs.
- Develops strong partnerships between library and other appropriate school and community agencies.
- Provides assistance directly to library users on the use of library services. Substitutes for professional staff in the library system as needed.
- Operates, troubleshoots and provides instruction on all library-owned technology.
- Contributes to the youth services team's efforts to plan, fund, market, and evaluate system-wide collections and services.
- Promotes Youth Services programs and activities through marketing and public relations.
- Stays informed about professional and community developments affecting the library and librarianship. Participates in continuing education opportunities within and beyond the library system.
- Acts as Person-in-Charge in the absence of the Branch Librarian.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Commitment to outstanding public service for youth.
- Knowledge of the theories, principles, practices and tools of library science in general and public library service to youth, in particular.
- Ability to function as a member of a team to achieve library goals and objectives.
- Demonstrates a knowledge of and passion for children's and YA literature.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent public speaking skills.
- Ability to take initiative in improving existing work techniques and procedures.
- Ability to push carts and bins loaded with library materials.
- Ability to reach and retrieve library materials at high and low shelf heights.
- Experience with integrated library systems.
- Knowledge of current technological applications for information access. Ability to utilize web-based and subscription databases.
- Basic skills with Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of current and emerging technologies; including social media, tablets and mobile devices.
This job description is intended to be a general guide to the duties and responsibilities of the job and is not intended to list every possible task that the staff member may be called upon to perform.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Resumes received by January 2, 2014 will receive first consideration. Apply to Edward Garcia, Library Director at firstname.lastname@example.org