Library Director, Amesbury Public Library, Amesbury MA
posted December 3, 2013 5:07 PM
The Amesbury Public Library located in Amesbury, MA (pop.16,450), on the New Hampshire border near the seacoast, seeks an enthusiastic and creative professional for the full-time position of Library Director. The Amesbury Library is a State Certified Library and a member of the MVLC network. It is a very active library with an annual circulation of 170,000, 11,000 plus card holders and 6,000-7,000 visits a month. The library provides popular programming for all age groups and has a dedicated and engaged staff. The position requires a dynamic community- and patron-focused librarian responsible for overseeing all library operations; including development and preservation of collections, budget development and management, community outreach, strategic planning, program coordination and staff supervision. Interested candidates must have a knowledge of the theory and practices of library services in a public library setting, program design and evaluation, computer- and web-based information systems, and databases used in public library operations.
For more information regarding the Amesbury Public Library, see: www.amesburylibrary.org
Qualified candidates can see a full job description at: www.amesburyma.gov/jobs.cfm
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various type of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
1. Develops and institutes short and long-term goals and objectives for library in conjunction with the Library Board of Trustees.
2. Oversees the development and maintenance of all library collections.
3. Develops and oversees the administration of the library's operating budget.
4. Recruits, hires, disciplines, trains and supervises library department staff and volunteers.
5. Oversees the review and implementation of new technologies and collections for the library.
6. Oversees the maintenance of the library's physical plant and surrounding grounds.
7. Collects and analyzes pertinent data and statistics; evaluates current programs for services and recommends changes to meet emerging needs.
8. Prepares reports for the Library Board of Trustees, the Library Foundation, the Friends of the Library, Mayor, City Council, and the State Board of Library Commissioners as requested.
9. Manages library expenses including but not limited to: accounts payable and receivable, payroll, and supply ordering.
10. Supervises all operations to maximize effectiveness and minimize costs.
11. Maintains current knowledge of new legislation, regulations and changes in library services and procedures through publications review, attendance at meetings, conferences and peer associations.
12. Represents the library on the local, regional, state and national levels at conferences and events.
13. Promotes and supports the staff's promotion of the library through public relations and in accordance with the department's marketing strategies.
14. Assures proper maintenance of the facility and equipment and coordinates and supervises rearrangements of physical facilities in the Library. Assesses need and recommends new and replacement purchases and locations.
15. Coordinates with department staff the selection and final disposition of books and materials.
Master's degree in Library Science in a program accredited by the ALA
Minimum of five years professional experience in a (preferably municipal) library environment, at least three in an administrative and/or supervisory capacity or equivalent combination of education and experience
Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners certification
Valid Class D Motor Vehicle Driver's License.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skill
Knowledge: Comprehensive knowledge of the principles, practices of professional library work, the organization and management of library operations, library materials and current trends in library service with knowledge of and experience in automated library systems.
Abilities: High degree of initiative, required in planning and implementing all programs of services; ability to exercise considerable judgment in dealing effectively with diverse constituencies in a responsive manner; ability to resolve conflict situations in a calm and construction manner; ability to set priorities and make effective use of time management; ability to develop effective working relationships with department personnel, subordinates and with the general public; ability to express oneself clearly and concisely both orally and in writing. Ability to multi-task as well as to develop short and long-term goals and objectives and to delegate responsibilities to staff.
Skill: High degree of management skills. Proficient data processing skill in the use of personal computers and office software including word processing, data base and spreadsheet applications.
Annual salary: 65,000-70,000
Closing Date: Application will be accepted until filled by qualified applicant.
Send: Please send cover letter, resume, and at least three current professional references to:
Eric Gregoire, Chief of Staff
Amesbury City Hall
62 Friend Street
Amesbury, MA 01913
Electronic submissions preferred.