Research and Information Literacy Librarian, SUNY Fredonia, Fredonia NY
posted December 17, 2013 4:56 PM
SUNY Fredonia is a comprehensive, selective, public, residential, liberal arts university located in beautiful Western New York, just minutes from Lake Erie. Founded in 1826, the university is among the oldest in the SUNY system. Fredonia is home to a world-renowned School of Music and awards both bachelor's and master's degrees in over 100 degree programs in the liberal arts, natural and social sciences, mathematics, education, and business. SUNY Fredonia also features cutting-edge programs in the emerging fields of technology, service, and communication. SUNY Fredonia earned the 14th spot among top public, master's granting universities in the North in the 2010 edition of "America's Best Colleges", published by U.S. News & World Report. The university has continually ranked as a "best university" in U.S. News & World Report since 1989.
Research and Information Literacy Librarian (80% Generalist and 20% STEM)
Daniel A. Reed Library seeks a creative, collaborative, learner centered faculty librarian. This individual will be responsible for a broad range of activities related to the planning and implementation of library services, including reference, instruction and collection development with a primary focus on the STEM disciplines.
The successful candidate will:
- Collaborate with the Coordinator of Research and Information Literacy Services to provide and market research tools and reference services;
- Provide programming and research support to students, faculty and community users;
- Participate in virtual and face-to-face reference initiatives;
- Collaborate with the Lead Instructor in the development, design, teaching, assessment and evaluation of the Information Literacy Program;
- Collaborate with the members of the department to envision, develop and execute digital projects and utilize new technologies to facilitate research, instruction and learning;
- Collaborate with the Coordinator of Collections serving as the library's subject specialist for the STEM disciplines;
- Actively participate in faculty governance, institutional service, professional development and scholarly activities.
Duties include some evening and weekend hours.
- Masters degree in Library/Information Science from an ALA accredited institution
- Education and/or experience in the STEM disciplines
- Demonstrated knowledge and use of ACRL's Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education, and of general library instruction theory and practice
- Two years recent post-MLS librarian work experience
- Two years successful work experience in librarian instruction
- Proficiency using and effectively searching a wide array of online and traditional library resources
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and the needs of diverse learners
- Demonstrated commitment to excellence in the teaching of students
- Commitment to continued professional development
- Ability to work well both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to collaborate effectively with faculty and staff colleagues
- Ability to plan, implement and assess work responsibilities
- Excellent and effective verbal and written communication skills with a high degree of computer literacy
- Second masters degree in a STEM Discipline
- Experience with emerging technologies in an instructional environment
- Experience with virtual reference services
- Post-MLS librarian work experience in an academic setting
SUNY Fredonia prides itself on an outstanding workforce. To continually support organizational excellence, the university conducts background screens on applicants. An affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, SUNY Fredonia encourages and actively seeks applications from minorities, women, and people with disabilities.
Interested candidates shall apply and submit the required documents listed below by clicking on the APPLY NOW button. Complete applicant submissions received by February 14, 2014 will be given full consideration.
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Statement of Reference Service Philosophy
Note: After submitting your Resume/CV, the subsequent page gives you instructions that enable you to upload the additional, required documents.
Please see the FAQ for using the online application system. Please contact us if you need assistance applying through this website.