Research Data Services Manager, University of Michigan Library, Ann Arbor MI
posted December 17, 2013 4:33 PM
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and include your salary requirements. For further information, contact Library Human Resources at email@example.com.
The University of Michigan Library in Ann Arbor is one of the largest university library systems in the United States, holding more than 8.5 million volumes. Each year, the University Library with locations across the Ann Arbor campus, adds the equivalent of 2.5 miles of new material to one of the finest and most comprehensive collections of any academic library in the world. Our seminal role in digitization enabled the creation of HathiTrust, a coalition of over 80 libraries with a growing digital collection that currently exceeds 11 million volumes.
The mission of the University Library is to support, enhance, and collaborate in the instructional, research, and service activities of the faculty, students, and staff, and contribute to the common good by collecting, organizing, preserving, communicating, and sharing the record of human knowledge. This mission is accomplished through the provision of the various collections and programs available to patrons of the library system.
The Research Data Services Manager will help build and enhance Research Data Services (RDS), which are responsible for strategic planning, coordination and deployment of research data services directed at facilitating the research lifecycle. This includes creating and implementing data management assistance for the campus, outreach to faculty in collaboration with subject specialists, training, and assessment of RDS programs and services. The Research Data Manager will provide leadership in the selection, creation and maintenance of the library data management solution, and participate in library-wide strategy and planning for data services and policies.
The Research Data Services Manager develops and promotes 4 key areas: 1) Education, Awareness and Community Building, 2) Infrastructure, 3) Policy and Strategy, and 4) Consultation and Services. Reporting to the Director of Research Data Services, the Research Data Manager will be responsible for planning, organizing, and coordinating the University Library's initiatives to support comprehensive research data management, sharing and preservation for the U-M Campus.
The Research Data Manager will be responsible for building research data management and curation services in support of University of Michigan researchers' needs to manage, preserve, share, and provide access to their data, regardless of format or type.
Research Data Services is responsible for strategically identifying the network of services in the library around research data. The Data Management Librarian position is responsible for building research data managment and curation services in support of University of Michigan researchers' needs to manage, preserve, and provide access to their research data.
Consultation & Services
* Provision of Data Management Plan support services, in collaboration with the Library's Subject Liaison program; provide leadership and support for subject librarians with research data management responsibilities.
* Consult and collaborate on a variety of research data issues including workflows, data curation mechanisms, and metadata support.
* Partner with faculty and librarians to document and assess workflows and determine best practices for data curation. Works closely with library subject liaisons to make sure they are kept informed and that they can assist in communicating research and data management support opportunities and options to faculty
* Identify staffing, operational and resource needs.
Education, Awareness, and Community Building
* Plan, train, coordinate data education for diverse constituent, including librarians, students, researchers, and staff.
* Create programs and workshops to target different populations, disciplines and knowledge levels.
* Collaborate with subject librarians for subject-specific training and data literacy efforts.
* Establish relationships with key campus stakeholders including Advanced Research Computing, ICPSR, U-M Office of Research, Information Technology Services.
* Collaborate and provide leadership for Library Information Technology, the Digital Preservation Office, Collections, Publishing and campus partners to design, develop, and maintain the infrastructure and procedures needed to support research data management services.
Policy and Strategy
* Coordinate systematic assessment of RDS.
* Understand issues surrounding data governance; maintain communication with campus stakeholders about data policy and strategies, and make recommendations and consult.
* ALA-accredited Master's degree or an equivalent combination of a relevant advanced degree and experience.
* Knowledge of technologies for data management and curation, as well as an understanding of preservation principles and practices.
* Ability to work independently and effectively with others as a team within a complex and fluid organizational environment.
* Possesses excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to present and share ideas clearly and effectively.
* Ability to build consensus and promote productive cooperation and teamwork.
* Demonstrated commitment to customer service.
* Ability to effectively work with a diverse group of faculty, staff, and students in a multicultural and collaborative environment
* Managerial and leadership experience; possess skills to effectively manage, coach, and motivate staff; strong commitment to fostering the development of others.
* Experience in operational and strategic planning of library resources and services.
* Possess database design experience
* Knowledge of information technologies, standards and best practices prevalent in libraries
* Experience in identifying researcher information needs and in creating effective services to meet those needs
* Demonstrated project management skills
Posting Begin/End Date: 12/04/2013 - 1/06/2014