Special Collections Librarian and University Archivist, Perry Libraries, Old Dominion University, Norfolk VA
posted December 6, 2013 4:45 PM
SPECIAL COLLECTIONS LIBRARIAN AND UNIVERSITY ARCHIVIST: This leadership position provides vision, oversight and coordination of all aspects of the Special Collections and University Archives unit in the Perry Library, including services, operations, programs, and supervision of 1 FTE and several student assistants and interns. The Special Collections Librarian and University Archivist actively engages in donor development and cultivation, participates in outreach and instructional activities, and collaborates with multiple library/campus departments and teams. The librarian also participates in local and state preservation projects such as DOVE (Desegregation of Virginia Education).
• A master's degree from an American Library Association accredited program
• Excellent written, interpersonal, communication, analytical and project management skills
• Knowledge of current trends and issues in special collections, archives, conservation and preservation
• Knowledge of technological applications in digital library development as related to special collections and archives such as automated archival collection management systems, imaging, database management, and Web applications publishing
• Progressively responsible experience in library special collections or archives
• Experience with arranging and describing archival collections and applying archival processing standards
• Supervisory experience
• Experience with digital library development in the context of special collections and archives
• Experience with standards based on non-MARC metadata schemas such as Dublin Core, MODS, METS, EAD, and other library and archival description and content standards
• Experience with working with donors
• Experience with collection development
• Experience with providing library service
• Excellent presentation/instruction skills
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Minimum $55,000. Excellent benefits package.
Old Dominion University is a metropolitan state-supported institution with enrollment of 24,400, a leader in distance learning, and a Carnegie Extensive Doctoral/Research University. The campus is located in the historic port city of Norfolk, VA. Position announcement and description are available at http://www.lib.odu.edu/aboutthelibraries/employment.htm. For campus information, check http://www.odu.edu.
Screening of applicants will begin January 31, 2014 and continue until the position is filled.
CONTACT: Send a letter of application, resume, and the names, addresses, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses of three professional references to: Nicole Justice, Search Committee for Special Collections Librarian and University Archivist, Perry Library, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA 23529-0256 firstname.lastname@example.org, (757) 683-4141.