Special Collections Librarian, Augustana College, Rock Island IL
posted December 11, 2013 6:45 PM
Job Title: Special Collections Librarian Revised: November 2013
Status: Exempt Full-time 12 month schedule Faculty status, non-tenure track
Reports To: Director of the Library
Overview: The Thomas Tredway Library at Augustana College, winner of the 2006 ACRL Excellence in Academic Libraries Award, seeks a Special Collections Librarian with a passion for introducing undergraduate students to primary source materials. The size and scope of Augustana's archival, manuscript, and rare book collections are substantial for a liberal arts college of this size, and our Special Collections is a vibrant research center. The Special Collections Librarian will introduce undergraduate students to primary source materials, will teach a wide variety of classes each year and will work with students individually as they complete their assignments using rare books or manuscripts. This position will also respond to numerous inquiries from our faculty, our administration, and the general public, and will work closely with other librarians to integrate Special Collections into classes and our information literacy goals.
Expected starting date is early June, 2014, but may be negotiated.
- Provide reference and research assistance in the Special Collections reading room/ classroom as well as at the library research help desk.
- Assist with group and individual instruction in using original primary sources
- Oversee creation of finding aids
- Identify items requiring conservation work, with recommendations for and coordinating of such work
- Coordinate collection development and management for the department
- Supervise a half-time assistant and several student employees
- Effectively communicate the unique characteristics and activities of Special Collections to other librarians and to faculty members
- Work tactfully with potential donors of materials
- Other duties as assigned
Education: MLS (or equivalent) from an ALA accredited program, or expected completion of the degree by early June, 2014.
Experience: Experience with processing collections, care and preservation of historical materials, digital initiatives and preservation, teaching with archival materials, and/ or ArchivesSpace. Ideally, the successful candidate will have specialized in work with archives and manuscripts but will be ready to learn more about rare books. Initiative and enthusiasm coupled with internships, volunteer experience, or coursework may satisfy some preferred qualifications. Strong preference will be given to those candidates with special collections experience in an academic setting.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a diverse audience, including faculty, administration, staff, and students.
- Ability to develop rapport with students.
- Strong commitment to teamwork and willingness to collaborate.
- Sense of humor
Physical Requirements: Must be able to lift 25 pounds on a frequent basis. Also required is the ability to listen, hear, speak, read, write, climb stairs, bend, stoop, and stand for intermittently long periods of time. Must possess finger and hand dexterity for using small tools and equipment. Must be able to use a computer to accomplish a variety of job tasks.
Note: This job description is subject to change and is not designed to be a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required by the employee.
Application Instructions: Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and one-page statement of the applicant's philosophy of librarianship to email@example.com no later than January 6, 2014. Additional information is available at Augustana.edu/employment.