Assistant Archivist, Charles M. Schulz Museum, Santa Rosa CA
posted January 20, 2014 2:04 PM
The Charles M. Schulz Museum, a not-for-profit institution located in Santa Rosa, California, seeks a collaborative, organized, and enthusiastic Assistant Archivist to join our collections team. The Museum is home to an active Research Center that provides care and access to correspondence, periodicals, books, news clippings, and business records pertaining to the life and art of Charles M. Schulz.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Assistant Archivist reports directly to the Archivist, who is responsible for the overall administration of the Research Center of the Charles M. Schulz Museum. This position is focused on processing archival records related to the life and legacy of Charles M. Schulz, creator of Peanuts, as well as institutional archives. The Archivist Assistant works to implement archival management of records in electronic formats, assists with the public service functions of the Research Center, and engages in active outreach. This position also has responsibility for encoding finding aids using Encoded Archival Description (EAD). In addition, the Assistant Archivist will work with processing assistants, including paraprofessional archival processors and interns. The successful candidate may also participate in digitization projects, acquisition of manuscript and archival collections, and donor relations.
- A graduate degree in library science from an ALA-accredited institution, a graduate degree in archival studies, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Formal coursework or training in archival management and theory.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team in a dynamically changing environment.
- Experience processing archival collections and preparing finding aids.
- Familiarity with concepts related to archival management of electronic records.
- Knowledge of basic records management principles and current trends.
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly and effectively.
- Fluency with digitization concepts and best practices.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Proficiency with PastPerfect Museum Software.
- Reference service experience in a research or academic library.
- Expertise working with archival collections in non-textual formats, such as photographs, audio recordings, and video recordings.
- Experience working with electronic records.
- A comprehensive understanding of Adobe Creative Suites.
- Experience working with oral history programs.
About the Museum
The mission of the Charles M. Schulz Museum and Research Center is to preserve, display, and interpret the art of Charles M. Schulz. The Museum carries out this mission through exhibitions and programming that:
- Illustrate the scope of Charles M. Schulz's multi-faceted career,
- Communicate the stories, inspirations, and influences of Charles M. Schulz,
- Celebrate the life of Charles M. Schulz and the Peanuts characters, and
- Build an understanding of cartoonists and cartoon art.
This is a regular part-time position including pro-rated benefits, requiring 24 hours per week. Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and samples/links of finding aids to:
Cesar Gallegos, Archivist
Charles M. Schulz Museum
2301 Hardies Lane
Santa Rosa, California 95403 email@example.com