Children's Librarian (Early Childhood), Portland Public Library, Portland ME
posted January 13, 2014 4:38 PM
The Portland Public Library, Portland, Maine is seeking a Children's Librarian with a strong background in early childhood, whose key role is to promote and implement aspects of the Library's early childhood literacy services. Working collaboratively, the person in this role develops and provides early childhood literacy services within library locations and within the community.
- Provides reference and reader's advisory services to a wide range of clientele from the Children's service desk;
- Supervises and trains desk staff;
- Provides programs for children; assists in planning, coordinating and supervising programs;
- Assists in developing, with the Children's Team and Department Head, cooperative partnerships with community-based organizations, including the schools (public, private and home), parents and the public;
- Serves as an internal resource on children's literature, children's services and child development for the Library system.
- Exhibits a knowledge of digital content including databases, e-books, e-audio, and especially apps (primarily for the iPad)
Bachelor's degree is required. Degree or significant coursework in child development strongly preferred. A Master's degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited school is strongly preferred, or equivalent experience. At least two years of relevant experience in libraries; early childhood experience required. Supervision experience required. A rock-solid background in children's literature from birth to age 12 is imperative. Proven experience working with diverse audiences is crucial.
Exceptional customer service, experience and vision; able to model and lead
Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; program presentation skills
Past experience in diverse environments necessary
Enthusiasm for early childhood learning
Energetic, enthusiastic and collaborative style necessary
Demonstrated advanced technology skills
This 37.5 hour position is classified as a Librarian I. Excellent benefits; competitive salary. Environment is dynamic and challenging, with opportunities for growth and many ways to contribute. Cover letter and resumes to Human Resources, Portland Public Library,5 Monument Square, Portland Maine, 04101 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review begins immediately and continues until position is filled.