Children's Librarian, Grafton Public Library, Grafton MA
posted January 21, 2014 6:16 PM
Grafton Public Library
Under the direction of the Director, the Children's Librarian develops and implements services that facilitate and encourage literacy for children ages 0-12. The Children's Librarian participates in collection development and maintenance of collections of books and media for children and their caregivers, and leads a team of senior library assistants, library assistants, and volunteers assigned to the Children's Room. The Children's Librarian may, from time to time, be responsible for library supervision in the absence of more senior staff.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND FUNCTIONS
- Develops, markets, implements and evaluates library programs for children and their caregivers.
- Coordinates library services for tweens in conjunction with Teen Services Librarian.
- Develops and maintains a multimedia collection of library materials for children and their caregivers.
- Supervises library staff and volunteers assigned to Children's Room.
- Assists patrons with reference and reader's advisory requests, including those involving traditional library media, the Internet, and C/W MARS' Evergreen software.
- Provides customary services when scheduled to work at the Children's Room service desk.
- Develops and implements community outreach programs for children and their caregivers
- Prepares informational materials promoting the library services.
- Prepares grant applications in support of department programs.
- Maintains statistical records and prepares reports as required.
- Monitors the usage of supplies and requests replenishment as required.
- May assume the responsibility for operation of the library during temporary absences of the Library Director.
Master's Degree in Library Science; three to five (3-5) years related work experience; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience providing knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform essential functions of the job. Oral and written communications skills needed to interact effectively with library patrons and colleagues. Ability to use productivity software, the Internet (including social media), online databases, and C/W MARS Evergreen software for circulation and reference services. Physical strength and agility needed to shelve and retrieve library materials, negotiate stairs and move equipment and delivery bins.
Position is full-time. Schedule is 35 hrs/ week, and includes weekday, weekend, and evening hours. Salary range is $35,555 - $ $60,444.
Apply with cover letter and resume or application for employment to: Selectmen's Office, Grafton Municipal Center, 30 Providence Road, Grafton, MA 01519, attn: Children's Librarian.
Review of applications begins March 1, 2014.