Library Director, West Orange Public Library, West Orange NJ
posted January 31, 2014 5:06 PM
The West Orange (NJ) Public Library is seeking a highly-qualified and innovative Library Director to serve a diverse community of 46,000 residents. The Library has a current budget of $2.3 million and a staff of 16 FTEs, plus temporary workers and independent contractors. The employees are unionized and the Library is a Civil Service organization. The hiring salary range is $95,000-$107,000, dependent upon experience and qualifications for the position, with an excellent benefits package and generous leave policy.
- Works with the Board to create strategies that ensure success in fulfilling the Library's mission
- Responsible for all services, operations and activities of the Library
- Prepares, presents and administers the annual budget in conjunction with the Board of Trustees
- Maintains administrative and operating records in compliance with government regulations
- Hires, trains, supervises, develops and evaluates Library personnel
- Serves as liaison and advocate with Town government, local schools and the community
- Oversees Library public relations and community outreach
- Oversees the Library's technology plan
- Negotiates vendor contracts
- Seeks supplemental sources of funding, such as grants and donations
The duties listed above are illustrative of the types of work that may be performed. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties.
- Master's Degree in Library or Information Science from an ALA-accredited program and a NJ Professional Librarian's Certification
- Five years of public library experience including work in the service, circulation and reference areas, two years of which were in a supervisory capacity
- Experience in finance and budget administration
- Experience in personnel and labor relations
- Knowledge of technology and library automation systems
- Experience and success obtaining and administering grants
The ideal candidate will have:
- Five years previous experience as an assistant director or director at a public library
- Excellent communication, writing, and presentation skills
- Negotiated union contracts
- Knowledge of NJ Civil Service rules and procedures
Applications will be accepted until midnight EST on February 14, 2014.
Please send cover letter, resume, and three professional references to the Executive Search Committee via e-mail to: email@example.com.