Library Intern, America's Test Kitchen, Brookline MA
posted January 22, 2014 4:15 PM
This 4-5 hour/week position is a wonderful opportunity to gain experience in all facets of small special library management. (Please note it is 5 hours spread over the week between the hours of 9-5 Monday-Friday. No weekends.)
This is an unpaid (but rewarding) opportunity to work as a librarian in a special library. You will gain hands-on experience with the organization and management of a library, work with a wonderful (and growing) culinary collection (about 4,000 books, plus magazines), and make a positive contribution to a fascinating organization.
ESSENTIAL ELEMENTS OF POSITION:
- Process (catalog, enter into database, shelve) new items
- Help ATK staff find books
- Answer reference questions
- Maintain catalogs
- Weed as necessary
- Keep circulation statistics
- Reshelf returned materials
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Flexibility in schedule
- Ability to lift and carry up to 20 pounds and to climb on step stool to reach top shelves
- Ability to carry books up and down a spiral staircase.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- BA/BS or equivalent
- Currently enrolled in a Library Science program
- Understanding of Cataloging and Reference work
Qualified candidates should send a cover letter, availability and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with ATK Library Volunteer in the subject line.