Manager, Collection Development, Pikes Peak Library District, Colorado Springs CO
posted January 6, 2014 11:54 AM
PPLD seeks an innovative leader for our District's Collection Development Department (acquisitions, serials, materials handling, cataloging) to orchestrate the delivery of a robust print and digital collection through the synchronized efforts of an energized, flexible and outcome based team of 22 staff. The Manager will also lead the successful relocation of the Collection Development department to the new 21st Century Library location. This exempt, full-time position will direct a highly collaborative team committed to achieving the mission of the Pikes Peak Library District: to seek, engage and transform lives through library services and resources that enrich individual lives and build community.
- Serves the library in a leadership capacity to move the district's services forward, anticipate future needs, and makes vital recommendations based upon trends, issues and research in the area of collection management.
- Develops, coordinates, and implements long-and short-range plans related to Collection Development to meet strategic plan objectives.
- Provides leadership, guidance, training, direction and assistance to Collection Development staff.
- Conducts employee evaluations, develops goals and strategies for Collection Development staff development, including team-building, on-going education, and cross-training.
- Interviews, selects and develops new staff; evaluates work assignments, manages conflict, and builds a high performing cohesive team.
- Reviews, updates and implements policies and operating procedures to improve efficiency.
- Oversee $4 million dollar annual budget for library materials and the Collection Development department, monitors budgetary expenditures and forecasts for future budgets; uses advanced metrics and methodologies to maintain fiscal accounting records.
- Proactively assesses the collection on an ongoing basis; creates and uses reports to build the collection.
- Negotiates vendor contracts, monitors services and resolves issues related to the collection.
- Provides excellent customer service, maintains a courteous, positive image of the library, and maintains confidentiality when interacting with patrons, vendors, and staff.
- Master's Degree in Library Science (MLS or MLIS) required
- Five plus years of professional experience working in a library required; advanced knowledge of library services, best practices and procedures
- Three plus years of leadership experience demonstrated success in effectively leading teams and operations
- Management aptitude, including management education and experience, leadership abilities, responsibility for outcomes, personal productivity, practical thinking, adaptability, coaching, interpersonal skills and business ethics required.
- Demonstrated success in developing collections/content, preferred
- Experience with successfully managing a collection budget of a million dollars or more, preferred
- Ability to apply analytical reasoning and strategic thinking skills to spearhead work flow process improvements
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications, computerized acquisition programs, on-line ordering tools/programs, and in-depth internet searches
- Ability to exercise confidence and excitement in the vast technological and online resources the Library District has available
To learn more or apply, please visit: www.ppld.org/jobs
STARTING WAGE: $27.56 - $30.67 per hour DOE* + full benefits (*Starting wage will be commensurate with experience and education. Starting wage is equivalent to a range of $57,324 - $63,794 per year)
About us: PPLD is the second largest library district in Colorado. Established in 1903, PPLD serves the 620,000 residents in El Paso County. PPLD provides 15 facilities, online resources, mobile libraries, innovative technology, meeting spaces, and programs that foster a community of educated, informed and engaged citizens.On average, PPLD checks out 24,800 items each day, with an annual circulation of 8.8 million.