Mesothelioma Group Cancer Scholarship
posted January 14, 2014 8:30 PM
The Mesothelioma Group is proud to present the first bi-annual Mesothelioma Group Cancer Scholarship, awarding $1,500 to one male and one female student who have experienced and overcome strong adversity in the face of cancer. Valid applicants include those diagnosed with cancer (active or in remission, not limited to mesothelioma), those who have lost a parent to cancer, or those whose parent is currently fighting cancer.
Our first scholarship contest challenges entrants to write a (typed) 500-1,500 word personal essay in which you explain your adversity, need for financial assistance, and provide specific examples of how you have used your cancer experience to positively impact the lives of other young adults. Additional consideration will be provided for those demonstrating leadership and a dedication to community service.
Please follow the scholarship guidelines listed below.
Scholarship Criteria for Inquiring Participants:
- Enrollment in an accredited high school, four-year university, community college, or graduate degree program
- Applicants must be citizens of the United States and must be attending or planning to attend a U.S. based university Students must be considered in academic "Good Standing" at their current institution (e.g. not on academic probation or suspension)
- Applicant must have a minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher (or equivalent)
Please provide the following:
- Your typed essay in a legible font (Times New Roman, Arial, or other common font; 12 pt) with your Full Name, Home Address, Email Address, and Phone Number listed at the top
- Printed transcript or statement of your GPA from your school (unofficial transcripts are also accepted)
- (Optional, but recommended): A list of any honors you have received, as well as relevant volunteer experience; please provide a brief explanation (1-2 sentences) for each
All entries must be completed by March 1, 2014 for Fall enrollment and December 1, 2014 for Spring 2015 enrollment. No other additional documents or forms (letters of recommendations, etc.) are required. Entries must be submitted via email to the address listed at the bottom of the page.
Further Information to Consider:
- All entry information can be found on this page; there is no formal application form to fill out
- Students may only submit one entry per scholarship period
- A transcript or statement of your GPA from your school must be included as an attachment with your essay
Once entries are received, they will be reviewed by a selection committee composed of managing staff members at the Mesothelioma Group. The decision of the panel will be based on which student best shows strength in the face of adversity, a need for financial assistance, and who best uses their cancer experience to positively impact the lives of other young adults. Medical hardship, a dedication to community service, and a commitment to educational and professional goals will also be considered when making the final decision.The winning students will be selected and notified by May 1, 2014 for Fall enrollment and December 31, 2014 for Spring 2015 enrollment. Each winner will be awarded a $1,500 scholarship.
Please send essay and all materials to email@example.com using the subject line:
ATTN: MesotheliomaGroup.com Cancer Scholarship