Music Cataloger - Temporary, Harvard University, Cambridge MA
posted January 8, 2014 4:46 PM
The incumbent provides timely access to Harvard Library collections by providing original and copy cataloging, and related authority work, for Loeb Music Library collections in multiple formats and languages.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Catalogs music materials in all formats including scores, audio and video recordings, CD-ROMS, digital formats, newly emerging media, and books, in a variety of languages
- Creates original catalog records in an automated environment using MARC and non-MARC schemas as necessary; performs routine and complex copy cataloging
- Performs subject analysis and classification
- Works according to changing daily priorities, demonstrates flexibility and ability to shift between multiple tasks effectively
- Performs duties with professionalism, which includes relating to others in group settings and individually in a courteous, cooperative, sensitive, and collegial manner
- Contributes to the overall goals of the department as appropriate
- MLS or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Advanced knowledge of music, preferably obtained through formal education
- Experience performing music cataloging
- Knowledge of RDA, LC-PCC Policy Statements, MLA Best Practices for Music Cataloging, AACR2, Library of Congress Rule Interpretations, Library of Congress Subject Headings, Library of Congress Classification, and MARC 21 bibliographic formats, especially scores and recordings
- Knowledge of authority control concepts required, including the use of authority records in cataloging
- Knowledge of music literature and reference sources
- Advanced knowledge of OCLC searching and cataloging procedures, and the use of integrated library systems
- Must have excellent English language communication skills and a demonstrated working knowledge of one or more foreign languages used in materials processed by the unit
- College degree in music strongly preferred
- Knowledge of creating MARC authority records preferred
- Library experience in an academic library technical services environment desirable
- Knowledge of Aleph cataloging module desirable.
- Experience using macros or other productivity tools desirable.
Applicants who are recent MLS graduates or MLS candidates having completed their cataloging and music librarianship courses and considering a career path in music cataloging will be considered and are encouraged to apply. For those applicants, advanced knowledge of music obtained through formal education is required.
Salary Information: $20.00-$30.00 /hr. The salary offer will be commensurate with experience.
Application Information: Please submit all applications to email@example.com