Rare Books and Manuscripts Librarian (Temporary Position), Boston Public Library, Boston MA
posted January 13, 2014 4:58 PM
The Boston Public Library is accepting applications for the Rare Books and Manuscripts Librarian (Temporary Position). The Rare Books and Manuscripts Librarian is responsible for providing specialized and complex reference services, performing complex and original cataloging and classifying of rare books and manuscripts, and promoting the use, care, and servicing of the Rare Books and Manuscripts collections.
Salary: $51,000 - $68,786, DOQ. Competitive benefits.
- A bachelor's degree from a recognized college or university and a master's degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited library school.
- A second master's degree in the Humanities or advanced coursework that would increase the knowledge of rare books is desirable.
- Four years recent professional experience in a Rare Book /Manuscript Dept.
- Four years recent experience performing original cataloging using DCRM(B), FRBR, AACR2, LCSH, LC classification, and MARC 21 coding.
- One year recent experience maintaining name, subject, and uniform title authority control MARC records.
- Reading knowledge of Latin and fluency in at least one additional language other than English.
- Ability to deal with other unfamiliar foreign languages
- Ability to exercise good judgment and focus on detail as required by the job.
- Residency - Must be a resident of the City of Boston upon the first day of hire.
- CORI - Must successfully clear a Criminal Offenders Record Information check with the City of Boston.
Complete job description and application available at: www.cityofboston.gov/OHR/careercenter.asp
Deadline for application: January 31, 2014