Reference Librarian, State Library of Massachusetts, Boston MA
posted January 2, 2014 10:36 AM
This is a part time position.
Coordinate library's efforts to scan and incorporate digitized materials in the library's DSpace repository. Oversee inventory projects. Coordinate collection maintenance and space planning. Assist with maintenance of website, subscriptions, and library's social media. Staff public desks as needed.
DETAILED STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Staff public desks. Answer questions in a timely fashion and in a courteous and professional manner. Follow policies and procedures of the Library in the Reference/Circulation Manual, Reference Service Policy, and appropriate staff memos.
2. Update library's blog, facebook page and other social media and suggest ideas for increasing the library's web presence.
3. Locate, scan and prepare metadata for scanning projects.
4. Under the direction of the technical services staff, add electronic and digitized documents to the library's DSpace repository.
5. Under the direction of the technical services staff, assist with cataloging projects, including original and copy cataloging.
6. Assist with collection maintenance.
7. Participates on library task forces and committees.
8. Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED AT HIRE (List knowledges, skills and abilities)
1. Considerable knowledge of Library and Information Science, including current practice in Reference services, cataloging/metadata and digitization.
2. Working knowledge of common equipment and computer resources used in libraries and information centers.
3. Experience with integrated automated library systems, preferably Evergreen.
4. Experience with social media.
5. Ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form.
6. Basic knowledge of legal research and/or government documents.
7. Expertise with commercial online databases and Internet resources.
8. Ability to maintain harmonious working relations.
9. Ability to lift 25 pounds.
QUALIFICATIONS ACQUIRED ON THE JOB (list knowledges, skills and abilities)
1. Detailed knowledge of federal and state legislation and legislative procedures.
2. Knowledge of Massachusetts government structure and Massachusetts history.
3. Detailed knowledge of Massachusetts and federal government documents.
4. Awareness of State's Email system.
5. Knowledge of State Library policies and procedures.
6. Knowledge of Evergreen online public catalog and automated circulation system.
7. Knowledge of electronic repositories, in particular DSpace.
Qualifications: Masters degree or fifth-year degree from a graduate school of Library and Information Science accredited by the American Library Association and certification by the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners.
E-Mail resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org OR mail to:
State Library of Massachusetts
State House, Room 341
Boston, MA 02133