Social Sciences Data Librarian, Colby College, Waterville ME
posted January 17, 2014 3:59 PM
Colby College Libraries invites applications for a social sciences data librarian in Scholarly Resources & Services (SRS). Within the Colby Libraries, the SRS group's primary mission is to support faculty and student research in an innovative teaching and learning environment. To that end, the successful candidate will work closely as liaison to departments in the social sciences, providing data and statistical support, information literacy and research instruction, individual consultations, and assistance in collection development in an increasingly digital environment.
Preferred start date is July 1, 2014.
Applicants should address their materials to the chair of the Search Committee, Susan Cole, and send the following electronically in PDF format to Stephanie Frost (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- A cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- A statement of teaching philosophy
- Graduate transcripts
- Three letters of recommendation
- An ALA-accredited master's degree or international equivalent
- Evidence of a commitment to information literacy and library instruction
- Evidence of broad knowledge in the social sciences
- Flexibility, creativity, energy, and ability to work in a changing environment, and to work collaboratively as a member of a goal-oriented team
- Evidence of excellent communication and analytical skills
- Teaching experience in an academic setting
- Experience working with data sets and knowledge of research practices relating to data
- Knowledge of significant trends and issues in research support and data management; familiarity with one or more institutional or disciplinary repositories and experience using statistical software in work with data sets
- Subject knowledge of economics and government, including collection development
Colby is a highly selective liberal arts college located in central Maine. The Colby College Libraries are central to scholarship and a key part of the Colby academic program. There are three libraries with a professional staff of 13 librarians. Colby librarians are faculty without rank, eligible for sabbaticals and are expected to contribute to creative, scholarly, and professional activities, and to participate in library-wide and campus-wide service. A significant staff reorganization in 2012 resulted in the Libraries being poised for transformational change in the provision of services, instruction, and collections. For more information about the Libraries, visit www.colby.edu/library