Temporary Reference/Social Sciences Librarian, Academic Library, Pioneer Valley MA
posted January 2, 2014 9:27 AM
Temporary Reference/Social Sciences Librarian, Academic Library, Pioneer Valley, MA
BiblioTemps®, a short-term staffing service of the Massachusetts Library System, is seeking candidates for a temporary Reference/Social Sciences Librarian for one of our academic library clients. The schedule for this part-time assignment will be 20 hours per week, Monday through Friday. The placement will begin in mid-January and continue for approximately seven months.
- Conduct 10 to 15 class-specific instruction sessions during the spring semester for students in social sciences courses during the spring semester (anthropology, economics, education, sociology, women and gender studies, and possibly other disciplines).
- Conduct approximately 15 instruction sessions to support the social work curriculum during June and possibly July.
- Provide general reference desk assistance, 4-6 hours per week.
- Provide specialized reference and research assistance, including research appointments, for students in social sciences and social work courses.
- Serve as the subject liaison to social sciences departments for instruction, collection development, and other outreach initiatives.
- As time permits, assist the Head of Collection Development and reference staff with analysis and weeding of the government documents collection; assist with other collection-related projects as needed.
- MLS from accredited library school, with 2+ years of experience.
- Knowledge of current methods of library instruction/information literacy.
- Experience with general reference resources in both print and electronic format.
- Facility with the interfaces of major database vendors (EBSCO, ProQuest, Gale) and with MS Office.
- Familiarity with LibGuides software, Zotero, and RefWorks is desirable, but not required.
- Social sciences background is strongly preferred.
Submit a current resume and cover letter online at http://www.bibliotemps.com/jobs/. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. First review will be January 3.