Cataloging Bibliographer, Baker & Taylor - YBP Library Services, Contoocook NH
posted February 11, 2014 5:28 PM
Perform subject analysis and classification on a broad range and depth of materials. Materials analyzed include print, visual, audio and digital resources. Classification and subject headings assigned by the Cataloging Bibliographer are used to support approval plan profiling. Create metadata records at full level AACR2 or RDA to support the provision of products supplied by Library Technical Services to accompany purchased content.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Assign Library of Congress Subject Headings and appropriate sub-headings following SCM and LCSH rules.
• Assign Library of Congress Classification and cutter numbers following LCC and CSM instructions.
• Assign Dewey Decimal Classification using the full 23rd edition.
• Assign Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) and appropriate sub-heading strings.
• Assign National Library of Medicine classification.
• Assign Canadian literature, history and KF modified classification as appropriate for specific customers.
• Assign library-specific cuttering and shelflisting as required.
• Create full-level cataloging records in MARC (or other metadata format) following AACR2 and LCRIs or RDA and Library of Congress Policy Statements as appropriate.
• Use ebook aggregator websites to view and catalog electronic resources.
• Search OCLC, LC catalog and authorities, and customer online catalogs as necessary.
• Upgrade LC CIP records and other less-than-full-level records.
• BA/BS degree required and equivalent library/vendor knowledge preferred. MLS degree preferred. Experience or knowledge of book trade or library function a plus.
• Ability to work in a production environment.
• Awareness and understanding of digital content.
• Word and Excel experience a plus.
• Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills.
• Ability to prioritize and work independently and/or as part of a team
• Ability to spend the majority of day working at a PC.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, talk, and hear. The employee must sit, use hands and fingers, reach with hands and arms, push book carts and lift/move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision requirements include close, and color vision in order to view CRT/PC screens and read written reports.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
YBP Library Services
a Baker & Taylor Company
999 Maple Street
Contoocook, NH 03229
Apply in person or at the following web site:
Click "Careers" at the bottom of the page.