Librarian for Business and Economics, NYU Libraries, New York NY
posted February 18, 2014 4:37 PM
NYU Libraries seeks a subject specialist in business and economics to support the research and teaching programs of faculty, graduate and undergraduate students in the FAS Department of Economics, the Stern School of Business and other departments and programs across the university. The librarian serves as a library liaison with special emphases on building and curating collections in all formats; developing a program of extensive outreach, instruction, consultation, and research support services; and delivering responsive and innovative information services. Librarians play a key role in the educational mission of NYU by establishing strong collaborative relationships with faculty and students and connecting them to the services, content, and tools that meet their research, teaching and learning needs.
The Librarian for Business and Economics is a tenure track position based in the Research Commons, and is a member of the Business and Government Information Services group in the Public Services Division, NYU Libraries. The successful candidate works collaboratively with other social science and business librarians, the Data Services team and colleagues at NYU Abu Dhabi and NYU Shanghai to deliver services related to business and economics, and takes a leadership role on selected projects and initiatives. Librarians at NYU participate in Library-wide committees and professional activities outside of NYU; and monitor developments and best practices to help ensure the excellence of the NYU collections and research support services.
- Minimum one graduate degree (masters level or higher). A second masters will be required for tenure review. One of the two masters degrees must be an ALA-accredited MLS or equivalent.
- Academic background in economics, business or a related social science discipline or demonstrated experience in providing business or economics information and education services
- Demonstrated public service experience in an academic library supporting users' teaching, learning and research needs.
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively in a complex organization
- Creative, service-oriented approach to problem solving
- High degree of facility with technologies and systems germane to the 21st century library
- Familiarity with business or economics research, including scholarly communication, data management, and corresponding needs of faculty and researchers
- Familiarity with quantitative or qualitative packages for statistical analysis, e.g., Stata, SPSS, SAS, Atlas.ti
- Record of professional activities, including research and engagement in professional organizations
New York University Libraries:
Libraries at New York University serve the school's 40,000 students and faculty and contain more than 5 million volumes. The Libraries supports NYU's vision to become the first true Global Network University by collaborating and providing services to our 11 global academic centers and "portal campuses" in Abu Dhabi and Shanghai. New York University Libraries is a member of the Association of Research Libraries, the OCLC Research Library Partnership, and the HathiTrust. The Libraries participates in a variety of consortia and collaborates closely with Columbia University Libraries and the New York Public Library through the Manhattan Research Library Consortium. For the NYU Libraries Mission and Strategic Plan go to http://library.nyu.edu/about/Strategic_Plan.pdf
Salary/Benefits: Faculty status, attractive benefits package including five weeks annual vacation. Salary commensurate with experience and background.
To Apply: To ensure consideration, send resume and letter of application, including the name, address and telephone number of three references to: Enrique Yanez, Director, Human Resources, New York University Libraries, 70 Washington Square South, New York, NY 10012 or via email to email@example.com. Please include where you heard about this position. The search will remain open until filled.