Part-time Floater Reference Librarian, Worcester Public Library, Worcester MA
posted February 25, 2014 5:28 PM
SALARY: $21,132.32 - $30,754.05 annually; $20.25 - $29.47 hourly
A beginning professional position with supervision as assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides excellent professional reference and readers' advisory services to the public in person, online to assigned locations including Main Library, One City One Library sites, branches and mobile services
- Builds, manages and promotes quality collections in all formats in assigned subject areas
- Makes connections, reaches out and represents the library to the community
- Collaborates with a team of professional and paralibrarian staff and with other city agencies
- Participates in the development and implementation of strategic partnerships with community groups, government agencies, and other appropriate organizations
- Maintains a working knowledge of library resources and an awareness of new resources and technologies and effectively uses and teaches the library's resources
- Interprets library services and policies to customers in a clear and courteous manner
- Develops, publicizes, implements and evaluates adult programming, classes and outreach services, including reading discussion group, library and technology literacy
- Actively participates in staff development and training opportunities
- Participates in community outreach project and keeps informed of community needs
- Works at various locations, including mobile library services
- May schedule, supervise and evaluate pages, interns and volunteers
- Performs other tasks, as assigned, consistent with the functions of the work unit and level of responsibility.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATION STANDARDS FOR PERFORMING ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Demonstrated proficiency in current and emerging technologies and their applications
- Commitment to excellent customer service to a diverse community
- Demonstrated knowledge of search skills using paper and electronic resources
- Show enthusiasm and flexibility
- Embrace opportunities to learn in a changing environment
- Demonstrate proficiency in current and emerging technologies and their applications
- Ability to create positive working relationships in a team environment
- Ability to initiate, organize, and self-direct work responsibility under moderate supervision
- Ability to collaborate and create positive working relationships with all staff
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Physical ability to push carts and bins loaded with library materials
- Ability to reach and retrieve library materials at high and low shelf heights
Education: MLS from a library school accredited by the American Library Association or approved by the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners.
Experience: Relevant experience will be considered.
Schedule: Flexible schedule will vary and include evening/weekend assignments and working at any other library location or department as needed.
Other: While performing the duties of this job, the employee will frequently walk, stand, bend, stoop and reach above the head. Strength is needed to push loaded book trucks. Ability to work with the public for periods of a minimum of two hours at a time while maintaining good communication.
Language: Second language
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume and cover letter on or before Friday, March 7, 2014, to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. EOE/AA employer. Preference given to Worcester residents.