Taxonomist, CNN Library, Turner Broadcasting, Atlanta GA
posted February 5, 2014 11:06 PM
Job Title: Taxonomist - CNN - Library
Job Category: Librarian Science
Job Location: United States - Georgia - Atlanta
Job Type : Full Time
Requisition # : 139981BR
Posting Job Description :
The Taxonomist for the CNN Library will require the following:
- Master's degree in Library or Information Science.
- At least 3-5 years experience in taxonomy, thesaurus, or controlled vocabulary development, preferably for text content in a media business.
- Experience working with platforms for automatic classification.
- Hands-on experience with Smartlogic Semaphore, Temis/Luxid or similar systems is desired.
- Understanding of metadata management and metadata standards
- Ontology development, linked data and semantic web, familiarity with SPARQL querying
- Familiarity with web publishing, SEO, and tagging or indexing news content.
- The best candidate will be a team-oriented self-starter with excellent interpersonal and communication skills who can connect well with multi-disciplinary teams.
- You should be inquisitive and analytical, with good editorial judgment, and work well both independently and collaboratively.
- You should be very interested in news and comfortable with a fast-paced environment.
The Taxonomist for the CNN Library will be responsible for the following:
- Continuous, timely review of topic suggestions and storylines emerging in the news, to define, develop and place in the taxonomy.
- Ongoing development of taxonomy hierarchies, terms and relationships to support new areas of concentration in our content.
- Development may involve text-mining and entity extraction against content, analyzing content for possible classification gaps, and identification, mapping and incorporation of external vocabularies.
- Research and selection of document sets to support topic development, auto-categorization tuning, and system QC.
- Regular review, analysis, tuning and quality control on the output of the automated classification system to optimize performance and ensure accuracy.
- Support of linked data initiatives across the business.
This position is located in our Atlanta headquarters (no telecommuting).
CNN is a 24x7 operation where schedules can involve evening, weekend and holiday hours, so schedule flexibility is important.