Archives Assistant, ACE Group of Companies, Philadelphia PA
posted March 17, 2014 4:53 PM
Please direct all applications (cover letter and resume) and job-related questions to corporate archivist Shaun Kirkpatrick at firstname.lastname@example.org. General questions about salary, benefits, and working at ACE can be directed to recruiter Kevin Duda at email@example.com.
The ACE Group of Companies is one of the world's leading global commercial property and casualty insurance and reinsurance organizations, with operations in 54 countries and over 20,000 employees worldwide. The ACE Archives, located in Old City Philadelphia, provides a secure repository where records of permanent value are preserved and made available to ACE staff. Records span all business units (legal, communications/marketing, financial, real estate, underwriting, etc.) and date back to the founding of the Insurance Company of North America, ACE's oldest company, in 1792.
The Archives Assistant (part-time/24 hours per week) supports the Corporate Archivist in a variety of archival and administrative tasks, including the processing, arrangement, and description of the collections housed in the ACE Archives, and the provision of internal reference and retrieval services.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
· Provide support in maintaining the Archives and its programs, and continually seek ways of improving the collections and services
· Accession and process incoming records, and re-process existing archival collections, according to best practices for corporate archives
· Process loans and fulfill reference requests for internal clients, in consultation with record owners when appropriate. Assist the Corporate Archivist in completing external reference requests.
· Create or revise databases as needed
· Create finding aids, indices, and other reference tools
· Digitize documents for remote access
· Shelve archival records and assist with the maintenance of the Archives storage area, including monitoring of the storage environment
· Assess the collection for conservation needs
· Supervise use of Archives by company staff
· Participate in diverse special projects
· Bachelor's degree is required. Coursework in archival studies, public history, library science, museum studies, or a related field is preferred.
· Experience with all aspects of archival work is highly desirable, including appraisal, accessioning, processing, preservation, conservation, reference, and outreach. Experience in a corporate setting is preferred.
· Strong customer service ethic
· Detail and task oriented
· Ability to work independently
· Must have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite applications such as Excel and Word, including experience creating and modifying databases in Microsoft Access
· Highly developed interpersonal, communication, writing, and presentation skills