Library Manager, New York Public Library, New York NY
posted March 14, 2014 5:33 PM
Under the general direction of the Library Network Manager:
- Manages the day to day operations of the branch including information, circulation, outreach, and programming services.
- Serves as the hiring manager for the site and is responsible for the ongoing development, evaluation, training, and discipline of staff in accordance with Library policies.
- Has overall responsibility for branch appearance and layout, the procurement of furniture and supplies, and the branch's operational budget
- Develops and implements strategies to enhance the onsite user experience, including using statistics and metrics to tailor services to meet local community needs and drive circulation and attendance.
- Builds partnerships with local businesses, community organizations, elected officials and community leaders to further strengthen the branch's relationship with their diverse community.
- Partners with Programming units to develop and facilitate innovative programs for the community's diverse patron base
- Maintains and updates the Library's collection profile, including merchandising the material and communicating collection needs to the Collection Development team.
- Focuses overall effort on providing exceptional customer service, including rallying the Branch Library team around this goal and resolving patron complaints as needed.
- Collaborates with Library Network Manager and other departments to improve the quality and variety of branch library services, ensure that the site is well-maintained and that technology is operational
- Performs public service duties as needed.
- Stays current in public library matters through professional development, involvement in professional organizations, interlibrary organizations, and attending professional meetings, conferences or workshops.
- Performs related duties as required
We currently have openings at the following Libraries:
- Fort Washington Library
- 67th Street Library
- Epiphany Library
- Throgs Neck Library
- Masters of Library Science degree preferred; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Substantial, successfully demonstrated public library experience working in a variety of roles displaying administrative, supervisory, and leadership skills appropriate to the position
- Successfully demonstrated commitment to providing consistent, high-quality public services
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills including the ability to serve as an enthusiastic ambassador for the Library
- Successfully demonstrated experience supervising, training, and mentoring staff
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment, identify and assess problems, and decisively implement appropriate solutions or recommendations
- Ability to work well independently and collaboratively across the Library to get things accomplished
- Creativity, flexibility, and initiative in accommodating community and staff needs
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Knowledge and understanding of urban library issues, library and information technologies; library policies and procedures
To apply, please visit our website: www.nypl.org/jobs