Assistant University Archivist and Special Collections Librarian, Adelphi University, Garden City NY
posted April 28, 2014 3:57 PM
University Archives and Special Collections (UASC) is comprised of two distinct collections--the official archives of the University, in multiple formats, and some 30 distinctive special collections in a variety of different subjects.
Reporting to the Dean of Libraries through the University Archivist and Special Collections Librarian, the Assistant University Archivist and Special Collections Librarian is responsible for a wide range of departmental activities and participates in other commonly shared responsibilities of the Library Faculty.
- Participate in all aspects of processing archival materials in all formats, including digital formats (and including surveying, appraising, acquiring, accessioning, arranging, preserving, and describing records).
- Develop and manage digitization projects (including the Archives and Special Collections Digital Library), including the identification of possible potential third party vendors.
- Develop and maintain websites for Archives and Special Collections.
- Create web-based finding aids.
- Assist in the selection and processing of Special Collections materials.
- Respond to reference and research inquiries.
- Assist in the development of programs and exhibits that promote the objectives and contribute to the vision and mission of the library and University.
- Assist in training and supervising part-time staff and student employees.
- Assists in promoting the use of primary resources within University courses and research
Collection development and liaison responsibilities for one or more schools or departments. Participation in the Libraries' information literacy program. Provision of services at Swirbul Library's main reference desk including evenings and weekends. Service on University and Library committees. Participation in professional associations and activities. Participation in scholarly activities including research and publishing required for reappointment and tenure.
QUALIFICATIONS: This is a tenure-track library faculty position. Applicants must hold a master's degree from an ALA accredited school of library/ information science, preferably with a concentration in archives or some advanced training in archives, manuscripts, and special collections. A second post-baccalaureate degree or similar proof of advanced study is required for tenure. The successful candidate will also be expected to possess: (a) experience in an archives or special collections environment, (b) knowledge of archival principles and practices, (c) appropriate technical skills and knowledge including current metadata schemes and standards, (d) excellent communication and interpersonal skills, (e) the ability to work effectively in a collegial environment, (f) evidence of ability to meet criteria for promotion and tenure. Other desirable qualifications include: (a) experience with digitization projects, archival database management systems (ContentDM and Archivist's Toolkit) and website construction, (b) experience with records retention policies and schedules, preservation techniques, exhibits, and writing grant proposals (c) familiarity with basic preservation and conservation standards for archival and rare books collections
UNIVERSITY AND LIBRARY PROFILE: Adelphi University, chartered in 1896, was the first institution of higher education for liberal arts and sciences on Long Island. The Libraries serve the University's 8,400 students who are enrolled on the main Garden City campus and locations in Manhattan, Hudson Valley, and Hauppauge. For more information visit http://www.adelphi.edu and http://libraries.adelphi.edu/special/.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Salary is competitive and dependent upon qualifications and experience. 195 day work year and 5 off-campus research release days as per the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Excellent benefits, including TIAA/CREF and alternative 403(b) retirement plans.
Position available immediately. Screening of applications will begin on April 2014 but will be accepted until the position is filled. Please apply online with a letter of interest, current CV, and contact information for three references.
- Position Reports To: Dean of University Libraries
- Location: Garden City, NY
- Starts On: Sept. 1, 2014, 8 a.m.