Head of Archives, Qatar National Library, Doha, Qatar
posted April 29, 2014 4:30 PM
This senior position will be responsible for a program of management, acquisition, appraisal, description, exhibition, access to, and preservation of the archival records of the Qatar Foundation, including privately donated and institutional records. The position will also manage a program of conservation and preservation of library materials throughout the library. As part of the Special Collections and Archives Team, the position will assist the Associate Director for Special Collections and Archives to develop strategic objectives for the department. This position may also act in the absence of the Associate Director for Special Collections & Archives. Regularly scheduled evening and weekend work may be required.
Key Result Areas:
- Leads the Qatar Foundation Archives' ongoing development and implementation of standards, best practices, and procedures for the stewardship of archival material.
- Liaise with Qatar Foundation Records Management processes to ensure that the permanent historically, culturally and operationally important records are transferred to the QF Archives.
- Responsible for the technical appraisal, capture/transfer, accessioning, storage, conservation, preservation and servicing of archival material.
- Manages a program of conservation and preservation of materials through the library, including archival materials and special collection such as manuscripts, maps, books, etc.
- Manages the Archives' on-line holdings systems, serves as author for the Archives' section of the QNL website and contributor to the QNL Facebook and other social media initiatives.
- Recommends, determines and implements workflows and best practices for the arrangement and description and discovery of collections.
- Develops and implements access procedures for requesting material and provides access to these materials.
- Recommends and implements digitization activities.
- Develops and implements an exhibition and lifelong learning program.
- Assists and recommends departmental budgets and priorities and goals.
- Recommend, lead, supervise, and evaluate the departmental staff, Graduate Trainees, and Interns. Provide certified coaching and mentoring to QNDP Trainees, Graduate Trainees, and master's degree candidates throughout the career development plan process.
- Contributes to the archival field in areas of specialization through service, research, writing, outreach, presentations, and/or teaching.
- Serve on designated committees throughout the library.
- Keep abreast of developments, trends and issues in all areas of responsibilities.
- Familiarize, understand and implement QF health, safety, and environment policy, procedures, legal regulations and objectives applicable to areas of responsibility. Ensures coordination with HSE department in implementing, monitoring and reviewing of HSE performance to ensure work under his/her control is performed in a safe, healthy and environmentally sound manner.
- This position includes, but is not limited to, other duties as required and defined by the scope, purpose, and spirit of the institution and are not always indicative of the title and grade of the position.
The incumbent will be located in the Qatar National Library, with substantial interaction with faculty, researchers, educators, students and the general public from multi - cultural backgrounds. The incumbent must abide by QF and QNL rules and regulations. He/she may be required to walk around the library to assist users.
Communications and Working Relationships:
- Head, Special Collections and Archives - on work progress, assignment and feedback
- Supervises the Senior Conservation Librarian the Conservation Technician.
- Special Collections and Public Services staff - on coordination of section work processes, exhibitions, school visits, etc.
- Library Information Technology staff - on hardware, software, website, connectivity and technology issues, needs and planning, digitization
- Technical Services staff - for fund accounting, acquisitions and cataloguing issues
- Administration and Planning staff - for communications and financial reporting issues
- Library partners/stakeholders - on integration of information literacy skills, collection needs
- Faculty, researchers, students and general public - on user needs.
This is a professional position which requires expertise and knowledge in a wide range of subjects and professional interests gained through academic studies and experience.
This job works within broad procedures and practices that have clear precedents with operational guidance being readily available if needed. It is subject to managerial control and review of results upon completion.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Master of Archival Studies or a Masters degree in Library or Information Science accredited by the American Library Association or foreign equivalent with significant archival experience.
- 3 years of progressively responsible experience in Archival activities.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills in both oral and written English. Arabic language skills will be an asset.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively both independently and within a team.