Head of Technical Services and University Archives, Westfield State University, Westfield MA
posted May 6, 2014 4:44 PM
Westfield State University seeks an energetic and forward-looking librarian to lead the library's Technical Services and Archives functions. This is a full-time, 12-month tenure track position responsible for managing Ely Library's Technical Services Department and planning for and overseeing the University Archives. This position reports to the Library Director. Noted for its strong sense of community and student support, Westfield State University is a Carnegie Master's Colleges and Universities institution with 5,675 students on a highly residential campus with growing hybrid and online programs. Located in the heart of campus, the Library was renovated in 2012 and migrated to OCLC's WorldShare Management Services in 2013.
Technical Services Responsibilities
The Ely Library Technical Services Department has two full-time support staff, one working full time in acquisitions/cataloging and the other spending about 80% of time in University Archives projects and reference and 20% in Technical Services. Technical Services tasks include ordering and processing of library materials, repair of print materials and preparation of print monographs for rebinding. Student assistant time is used to help with archives projects and processes new acquisitions.
· Supervise and train staff in WMS procedures and changes;
· Improve acquisitions and cataloging workflows as needed;
· Monitor staff efficiency;
· Assure the integrity of the library's online catalog;
· Maintain Technical Services statistics;
· Work collegially with other librarians
University Archives Responsibilities
The University Archives collects, preserves, and provides access to items related to the rich history of Westfield State University since it's establishment in the 1830's.
· Plan for and oversee the long-term collection, preservation, and digitization of materials that document the history of Westfield State University;
· Plan for and oversee the production of metadata to assure accessibility to the University Archives in digital formats for research purposes;
· Work with units from across the institution;
· Supervise support personnel in accomplishing archival projects;
· Communicate verbally and in writing with those involved in campus digitization projects (e.g. institutional repository);
· Collaborate with archives staff from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Boston Public Library, and other colleges and universities on shared projects and issues;
· Assist the Director in updating emergency planning and disaster recovery plans and procedures.
· Act as library liaison to assigned academic departments, updating subject LibGuides, and performing collection development tasks in those subject areas;
· Serve at the Reference Desk as time permits or as needed for backup;
· Participate in service to the University through committee and other work;
· Contribute to local, regional, state and/or national organizations related to academic librarianship.
· Remain knowledgeable and current in assigned areas of responsibility through ongoing professional development.
· Master's Degree from an ALA accredited library school;
· Three years cataloging/metadata experience including original cataloging;
· Working knowledge of OCLC and integrated library system(s);
· In-depth knowledge of MARC standards;
· Knowledge of metadata standards for materials in various formats;
· Experience supervising support staff in an academic library;
· Experience working with the acquisitions module of an ILS;
· Demonstrated familiarity with current trends and developments in cataloging and metadata;
· Evidence of excellent interpersonal communication skills.
· Second Master's Degree;
· Experience teaching information literacy skills
· Working knowledge of WorldCat Management Services or other cloud-based integrated library system;
· Record of service to library and/or academic communities;
· Knowledge of archival description, digitization, and preservation methods.
For more information, please visit http://westfield.