Salary: $40,000 to $50,000
Shippensburg Public Library (PA), a member of the Cumberland County Library System, seeks a service-oriented library director with experience in public service, planning, budgeting, grant writing, collection development, staff management and technology. The librarian will be an integral part of the community, active in fundraising and community relations.
Background: Located in a scenic college town in south central Pennsylvania, the library serves a growing population of 30,881 borough and rural residents. It enjoys a high level of support from an involved Board of Directors, receiving dedicated tax funds from Cumberland County and three Franklin County municipalities. The library has a staff of 18 (10.84 FTE), a $526,601 operating budget and a collection of 60,378. It uses Horizon software (a Sierra migration is in progress) and has four Gates public access computers. A building expansion is planned which will nearly double the space of its current 11,500 sq. ft. historic facility. Approximately $3.9 million has been raised towards the $8.1 million capital campaign for the project, and plans call for the renovations and expansion to begin by the summer of 2014.
Required: ALA-accredited MLS. Three years supervisory experience. Demonstrated leadership and communication skills. Knowledge of PC and automated library system software.
Salary: $40,000 - $50,000 based on experience, plus benefits.
Apply: Send cover letter, resume, 3 references, salary history and requirements to: Search Committee, Shippensburg Public Library, 73 West King St., Shippensburg, PA 17257
Deadline: Application review begins Monday, December 9, 2013.
The Cumberland County Library System (CCLS) administrative office's mission is to plan, develop, coordinate and provide comprehensive public library services for residents through a cooperative network of eight public libraries. Its primary focus is to primary focus is to meet the cultural, educational and informational needs of library users and community residents.
Cumberland County's libraries are the most well-used and visible of county-funded services. Statistics show that about 1.3 million people visit the CCLS physical facilities annually, plus more than 3.6 million people visit its web site and online catalog. In addition, the CCLS has the highest circulation per capita - 10.82 - of any county system in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
According to a countywide telephone survey conducted five years ago, the primary reason citizens use Cumberland County's libraries is to obtain materials for leisure reading, listening or viewing pleasure. Their primary reason for supporting library services is to support academic achievement and children's library use.
The CCLS includes an administrative office, seven federated local libraries and one branch facility. The system serves a state-designated service area of 244,731 people that includes three Franklin County municipalities located in the Shippensburg Area School District (Shippensburg, Orrstown and Southampton Township).
Service area residents or real property owners are eligible for a library card, at no charge, to borrow materials or use online services from any Cumberland County public library or the web site. The CCLS' member libraries include Amelia Givin Library (Mt. Holly Springs), Bosler Memorial Library (Carlisle), Cleve J. Fredricksen Library (Camp Hill) and its East Pennsboro Branch, John Graham Public Library (Newville), Joseph T. Simpson Public Library (Mechanicsburg), New Cumberland Public Library and Shippensburg Public Library.
SYSTEM LEVEL SERVICES
The System's administrative office provides services in six major areas:
1. Information Technology-- Administration of a 300+-user countywide, high-speed computer network that provides the public with a web site and staff with an integrated library system suite of software products that control circulation, cataloging, purchases, homebound services, periodical subscriptions, office productivity and fund raising functions (2012 Information Technology Budget: $496,958 or 34%);
2. Technical Services-- Provides member libraries with central purchasing of library materials (acquisitions), database development and maintenance (cataloging) and processing of new materials (2012 Technical Services Budget: $414,571 or 29%);
3. Library Services -- Provides citizens with Internet services, online databases, library delivery services, printing, programming and library supplies (such as library cards, book jackets, spine labels, etc.) (2012 Library Services Budget: $282,358 or 19%)
4. Training Services --Provides staff and library board members with training (2012 Training Services Budget: $91,627 or 6%)
5. Outreach Services--Provides home delivery of library materials homebound and nursing home residents through a volunteer network (2012 Outreach Services Budget: $45,976 or 3%)
6. Administrative & Financial--Policies, service planning & evaluation, fund distribution, and advocacy (2012 Administrative Budget: $121,331 or 8%)
The Library System's administrative office is a department within Cumberland County government and reports to the Library System Board and the Cumberland County Commissioners' office. It employs 10 full-time and 6 part-time individuals and is located at 1601 Ritner Highway, Suite 100 Carlisle.
The System Board's seven library board members and seven alternates are nominated by member libraries for appointment by the County Commissioners.
The System also has an independent Cumberland County Library System Foundation that is a non-profit, tax-exempt organization. The Commissioners make one appointment to this board.
The CCLS maintains a presence on the County web site, but its primary web site is located at: http://cumberlandcountylibraries.org.
Information available here includes:
• Library Board: http://www.cumberlandcountylibraries.org/?q=CHQ_Board_Members
• Finance: http://www.cumberlandcountylibraries.org/?q=CHQ_Finance
• Budgets & Audits: http://www.cumberlandcountylibraries.org/?q=CHQ_Budgets_Audits
• Public Policies: http://www.cumberlandcountylibraries.org/?q=Policies
Visit http://joblist.ala.org/modules/jobseeker/controller.cfm?rssjobid=24539 to apply.