Reading Room Policies
1. Researchers must sign a registration form once each fiscal year. Researchers must sign the guest register upon each visit to the Archives.
2. All coats, backpacks, and other personal items must be placed in the coat closet or a locker. The Archives reserves the right to inspect all research materials and personal articles before a researcher leaves the Archives.
3. Only paper, pencils, or laptops may be used in the Reading Room. Other equipment, including cameras, sound and video equipment, scanners, etc. may be used only with special permission and by appointment..
3. No food or beverages are allowed in the Reading Room.
4. Researchers must fill out a request form for each collection or book requested.
5. The use of cell phones is prohibited. Researchers must leave the Reading Room to make or receive calls.
6. Archival materials do not circulate. If material is loaned in special circumstances, a loan form must be signed.
7. The Archives' stacks are closed to researchers.
8. Access to some materials may require researchers to contact the Archives before a visit. Researchers are advised to contact the Archives at least a week ahead with their requests.
9. Researchers are responsible for returning books and collections to the Archives' staff. All materials must be returned fifteen minutes before closing time.
10. Archives' staff will complete all photocopying requests. All requests are subject to staff approval. The use, including copyright, of archival collections may be restricted by law, by the donor, or other restrictions. Simmons College further reserves the right to restrict the use or duplication of archival materials. See PHOTO Policy for information about copying stuff and costs.
12. Simmons College does not own the copyright or literary property rights to all documents or other items in the Archives. If researchers wish to publish items found in the Archives they must first request permission from the Archivist and complete the Permission to Publish Form. If the Archives does not own or hold copyright, researchers must obtain permission to publish material found in the Archives from the owner of the copyright. Researchers are also required to acknowledge the Archives in all publications (including theses) which include material found in the archives (proper citation: The College Archives, Simmons College). For additional information on proper citations, see Simmons College Archives Citation Information.
13. Simmons College reserves the right to make a charge for the use of the Archives and to impose such other regulations and restrictions as it deems appropriate in any individual case.
Updated December 1995
News from the Archives
In honor of "Brave Women, Bold Ideas, Big Change," the Committee of 200's conference being held at Simmons on Tuesday, the College Library has prepared several exhibits celebrating women leaders and entrepreneurs. Just inside the Library's entrance, books about women...
The Convocation ceremony at Simmons College has traditionally served as the official welcoming of students and faculty into the new academic year. Simmons Convocation began as a dedication to the College's founder, John Simmons. In honor of this year's Convocation...
The College Archives invites the Simmons Community to visit a display of selections from the Archives' collection of historical children's books. Books by Lewis Carroll, Louise May Alcott, Beatrix Potter, and others--many dating back to the 1800s--are prominently featured, as...
The College Archives invites the Simmons Community to Think Spring and learn more about some of the College's most fun annual events! The Archives has prepared an exhibit--complete with vintage photographs--on the history of Spring Spree and the Simmons Cup...
- View Complete Library & Archives Hours »
- Please note, after 7:00pm on weekdays and 5:00pm on Saturdays, a current Simmons ID is required for entry to Lefavour Hall. A current Simmons ID is required to access the building at any time on Sundays.