Research & Resources
The Writing Center offers one-on-one tutoring, workshops and presentations designed to strengthen students' academic reading, writing, critical thinking, and research skills. The Center works with faculty across schools and programs to address students' academic and discipline-specific writing needs.
- For more information, Writing Center hours, contact information, and submission deadlines, please see the Writing Center Website.
- For online resources, recommended titles on writing, grammar and citations, and an online tour of the Writing Center, visit the Writing Center Guide.
Burns Peer Tutoring Center
The Burns Peer Tutoring Center offers one-on-one writing tutoring to all Simmons students. Peer tutors can address your writing concerns whether you are a first-year student or whether you are completing a graduate thesis. All tutors are trained to work with the writing of native, as well as non-native speakers, and offer support for the full writing process: reading, planning, drafting, revising, citing, and self-editing. Our philosophy is that all students "own" their papers. We believe that the best way to help students is to guide them in the process of thoughtfully thinking about their papers. Click here to schedule an appointment.
Online tutoring takes place through an online submission and e-mail, instead of face-to-face in the Writing Center. You submit a piece of writing via the form we provide on this page. The online tutor will email feedback.
Like our face-to-face tutors, the online tutor will look for patterns in your writing and comment on issues such as organization, clarity, grammar, and documentation. In addition to comments, the tutor may refer you to resources to get practice on issues such as grammar or documentation.
What online tutoring is not:
- A live chat session.
- A proofreading service.
Special policies for online tutoring:
- Your paper can be no longer than 10 pages.
- Your paper must be in .doc or .docx format.
- You may submit only one piece of writing per week.
How to make a submission to the online tutor:
- Please click on the Online Tutor Request Form link.
- Complete the form and upload your paper in .doc or .docx format.
- You will receive an email to confirm receipt.
- If you do not receive a confirmation email within 24 hours, call Chris Cormier Hayes (617) 521 2495 or send an email firstname.lastname@example.org