Purchasing Card Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I obtain a purchasing card?
- Who is responsible for the card?
- Where can I use the card?
- What are some items that I can purchase with my card?
- Is it possible that my card may be rejected?
- What is my transaction limit?
- How does the bill get paid?
- How does it know what budget code to charge the transaction to?
- What do I do if the card is lost or stolen?
- Are we required to pay sales tax?
- Will these items be listed separately on my monthly budget report?
1. How do I obtain a purchasing card?
Cards are issued at the request of the department head. All full-time employees may apply by submitting an approved application to the Credit Card Administrator, Bob Chase, in Accounts Payable, MCB room W105.
2. Who is responsible for the card?
The person whose name appears on the card is responsible for protecting the card and is accountable for all purchases. The cardholder is the only person who can authorize a purchase, but may permit other employees to use the card.
3. Where can I use the card?
Cards may be used at any merchant or service provider that accepts the Visa card and has a merchant code within College guidelines. The card will not be accepted by any merchant with a Visa assigned travel or hospitality merchant code. In addition, the individual must continue to acknowledge the following when purchasing the items below:
- Office Supplies - All office supplies MUST be obtained from W.B. Mason, our preferred vendor.
- Books - All requests for student use should be directed to the College Bookstore operated by Barnes & Noble.
- Computers, peripherals, and software - In order to maintain College standards, all requests must be pre-approved by Technology and then processed through Purchasing.
- Copying Services - All photocopying requests should be directed to the Copy Center before seeking alternate suppliers.
- Media equipment - Purchases of media equipment such as televisions, VCR's, cameras, etc. must be pre approved by the Technology/Media Services and processed through Purchasing.
4. What are some items that I can purchase with my card?
Books, subscriptions & publication renewals, seminars & workshop registrations, conference fees, membership dues and fees, film rentals, flowers, etc.
5. Is it possible that my card may be rejected?
Yes, some merchant categories have been blocked and transactions will be declined (drugs, cash advances, medicines, jewelry, etc.) It is important to review and remember the restricted commodities. For example, office supplies may not be purchased from CVS because of the blocked pharmacy/drug merchant code.
6. What is my transaction limit?
Transaction limits are $1,000 per single transaction (including delivery, shipping & handling charges). The monthly usage limit is $1,000 also. In addition, you are only allowed 8 transactions per day. These limits can be adjusted to accommodate purchase patterns by increasing or decreasing this limit. Please contact the Program Coordinator.
7. How does the bill get paid?
Each cardholder will receive a monthly JPMorgan Chase statement with a zero balance due. All charges are the responsibility of the College and will be paid upon receipt of a central invoice. It is extremely important that every cardholder review the monthly statement. Each cardholder will have online access to review the transactions made on their card. The review must be completed by the twenty-fifth of each month. This review consists of making sure that the charges are being billed to the correct budget code and authorizing timely payment. Budgets are not encumbered until after the JPMorgan Chase invoice is processed. Therefore, budget authorities are advised to review department charges on a regular basis.
8. How does it know what budget code to charge the transaction to?
When the card is issued, all transactions will be charged to one default department number that is provided to Accounts Payable. When reviewing your transactions online, you have the ability to change the object codes. If there is an object code missing, notify Accounts Payable and they will add it to the list. If you need to charge the transaction to a department number, other than your default, you must then fill out a Credit Card Budget Change Request form. This needs to be done by the 1st of the month. Note, this does not change the default department number going forward. It only allows you to redirect the expense for that month. Subsequent transactions will continue to be charged to the default department number.
9. What do I do if the card is lost or stolen?
The purchasing card is College property and should be secured as if it was a personal card. If it is lost or stolen, the cardholder is responsible for immediately calling Visa at 1-800-270-7760 (representatives are available 24 hours a day). The Credit Card Administrator, Bob Chase at ext. 2005, must be notified in writing. The College is liable for all transaction until the card is reported lost or stolen. A replacement card will be sent within 10-12 business days to the Accounts Payable Office. A card that is subsequently found, after being reported lost or stolen, should be destroyed.
10. Are we required to pay sales tax?
Absolutely not. Simmons College is a tax-exempt organization and is not subject to most federal and state taxes. Cardholders should check receipts at the point of purchase to make certain sales tax was not charged. Cardholders are required to dispute all sales tax charges to their account.
11. Will these items be listed out separately on my monthly budget report?
No, they will only show up as one JPMorgan Chase expense, BUT Payment Net has a wonderful reporting feature that can be used to print out your itemized list. Click on Transactions -> Reporting when you are doing your online review.
Accounts Payable Coordinator, Credit Card Administrator
Accounts Payable Coordinator
Administrative Assistant I