If there is a severe weather warning or you see/hear threatening weather you should:
- Try and seek shelter and get inside immediately to an interior room or hallway.
- Make sure that all doors and windows are shut and secure.
- Stay away from exterior windows and doors.
- Do not go outside until the storm has past.
- After the storm has ended be away of any downed wires and falling objects.
In the event the college must be closed due to severe weather:
As winter approaches, we want to remind you how weather related closings will be communicated.
If Simmons needs to be closed due to hazardous weather conditions, you will be informed about the closing in the following ways:
1) Use of the Emergency Notification System — A message will be sent through our emergency notification system to all e-mail addresses and to the text message number you have provided in AARC. Please note: We will NOT send a message to voice phone numbers. This makes it possible to send early morning or late night notifications while minimizing disruption to you and your emergency contacts.
PLEASE BE SURE TO UPDATE YOUR EMERGENCY NOTIFICATION INFORMATION, INCLUDING THE TEXT MESSAGE NOTIFICATION NUMBER, BY LOGGING INTO AARC https://aarc.simmons.edu/
2) WBZ 1030 (AM) Radio and WBZ-TV Channel 4 Television - WBZ News Radio will read the list of school cancellations twice per hour during Storm Center operation and also during the local news updates on the CBS The Early Show Program. The full list of cancellations is also available on line at www.wbz.com and www.wbztv.com.
7 News broadcasts on Channel 7 (NBC) and on Channel 56 (CW) — Cancellations will be displayed during local news updates. A full list of cancellations is also available on line at www.whdh.com.
FOX25 News. Cancellations will be displayed during newscasts and on the website (www.myfoxboston.com).
Every effort will be made to ensure that a Simmons College closure is made beginning with the 6:35 A.M. newscast. Members of the community who commute from long distances are advised to delay their departure from home until complete cancellation information is available.
3) Simmons Information Line — The main college information line will be updated with closing information. You can call 617-521-3463 and select the menu choice for school closing information.
4) Web Posting — A message will be posted on https://connection.simmons.edu/
5) Twitter/Facebook — Messages will be posted on Simmons Twitter and Facebook.
Every effort will be made to keep the College open during a snowstorm including making use of delayed openings. If appropriate, the announcement will specify delayed opening time for classes. Most closings will be for day closings ONLY unless specified otherwise. In the event that evening or weekend classes must be canceled and the decision is not made at the time of the original announcement, a separate announcement will be made by mid-afternoon.
If public transportation is readily accessible from where you live, it is strongly suggested that this option be utilized to get to and from the College during snowy and icy weather. MBTA users may find this link helpful: http://www.mbta.com/winter
Please do not call the Department of Public Safety to ask whether or not the College is open. During snow, storm, and other emergencies the Public Safety Dispatcher is extremely busy, and calls of this nature may impede the handling of serious problems.
Judgments for weather related closings are based upon the best information available from the National Weather Service. Clearly, each member of the community should make his or her own decision about whether to travel to campus based on weather conditions in his/her area.