Join Our Staff!
The Professional Simmons Residence Life staff ("prostaff") is composed of full time and part time staff. These members, along with the Assistant Director and the Director of Residence Life, contribute to the development of our student population both in and out of the classroom. Below is a summary of the responsibilities for Resident Directors. Positions open in March or April of the preceding year.
Please check the Simmons Employment website for the ResLife postings. If you are interested in the Student Life summer RD position listed at the bottom of this page, please visit our How to Apply page for more information.
Part Time Resident Director (RD)
Bachelors degree with Residence Life or related experience. Ability to interact effectively with students from diverse backgrounds. A commitment to a multicultural education and an understanding of the value of a women's college experience.
Enrollment in a graduate program in an area relevant to the position. Course load and other outside commitments must be appropriate to the time demands of the position.
Stipend; the position also includes a furnished apartment and an on campus meal plan during the academic year (see benefits page).
- Supervises 3-4 Resident Advisors
- Oversees one residence facility (~100 students)
- Advises a Residence Hall Council
- Maintains 5 office hours per week in building
- Maintains 5 office hours per week in central office
- Participates in on-call duty rotation
- Works about 20 hours per week (not including on-call responsibilities)
- A bachelor's degree is required
- Preference will be given to candidates enrolled in a graduate degree program (Simmons, Northeastern University, Boston College, Suffolk University or other graduate programs welcome).
- Resident Directors enrolled in a graduate program may not have more than 15 hours per week combined internship/practicum and/or part-time employment on or off campus (outside of the Simmons RD position).
- Resident Directors must live within their assigned apartment full-time and may not have pets.
- Resident Directors must vacate their apartment by the end of their contract, May 31st. Returning staff and outgoing staff have the option of staying on campus during the summer in exchange for summer duty. Absolute last date in residence for outgoing staff is July 15th. Staff may be asked to relocate depending on availability and needs of the professional staff apartment in which they reside.
- All Resident Directors must pass a criminal background check.
- The Resident Director position is for 1 year, renewable.