BOSTON (June 10, 2013) — Today, Simmons College announced the creation of SimmonsLEADS, a dynamic series of exciting speakers, programs, and events that focus on the empowerment and development of women leaders. This new initiative celebrates the college's enduring and long-standing commitment to women's education, leadership, and success.
"We want the world to recognize the power of women's leadership, and we believe SimmonsLEADS will help to magnify this message," said Simmons College President Helen Drinan.
SimmonsLEADS will include the following:
- The Simmons Leadership Conference is the preeminent and longest-running women's leadership conference in the country. The conference annually attracts a global audience of more than 3,000 business and professional woman and has featured an impressive roster of speakers including: Madeleine Albright, Christiane Amanpour, Benazir Bhutto, Carly Fiorina, Anne Mulcahy, Oprah Winfrey, Mary Robinson, Queen Noor, Barbara Walters, Meg Whitman, and many more.
- The ENCORE series brings back top speakers from the Simmons Leadership Conference. The inaugural 2013 ENCORE event will feature 2012 Simmons Leadership Conference speaker Vernice "FlyGirl" Armour, the first African-American female combat pilot and author of Zero to Breakthrough: The 7-Step, Battle-Tested Method for Accomplishing Goals that Matter. "Flygirl" will bring her upbeat message about strategy, engagement, and action during a three-hour leadership seminar Sept. 9 at the Seaport Hotel Boston.
- Working with 2020 Women on Boards, SimmonsLEADS will host the annual "National Conversation on Board Diversity" to raise awareness about the need for more women on boards. The 2013 event will be held Nov. 12 at Simmons College. The goal of 2020 Women on Boards is to increase the percentage of women directors on U.S. public company boards to 20 percent or greater by 2020.
SimmonsLEADS will further the mission of Simmons's founder, John Simmons — to enable women to acquire independent livelihoods. All SimmonsLEADS events are non-profit fundraisers for graduate scholarships at Simmons College to help ensure the viability of women's education for generations to come.
Founded in 1899, Simmons College (simmons.edu) is a nationally ranked university located in Boston with a history of visionary thinking and social responsibility. It offers undergraduate education for women and renowned coeducational graduate programs in nursing and health sciences, liberal arts, library and information science, social work, and the nation's first MBA program designed specifically for women. Follow @SimmonsCollege and @SimmonsNews.
- Former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton to Deliver Keynote Address at 35th Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
December 11, 2013
- Simmons College Hosts National Discussion on Gender Diversity on Corporate Boards, Nov. 12
October 31, 2013
- Trustman Art Gallery Presents "Comestibles"
October 24, 2013
- Simmons College Makes Kiplinger’s “Best Value” Top 100 Private Colleges List
October 22, 2013
- Simmons School of Management Ranked #1 "Greatest Opportunity For Women" in Nation by The Princeton Review
October 15, 2013
- See All 2013 Releases »
- 2012 Release Archive
- 2011 Release Archive
- 2010 Release Archive
- 2009 Release Archive
- 2008 Release Archive
- 2007 Release Archive
- 2006 Release Archive
- 2005 Release Archive
- 2004 Release Archive
Subscribe to Feed
Director of Marketing/Communications
Kalimah Redd Knight