BOSTON (October 25, 2006) — A boat from the Simmons College crew team recently medaled at the prestigious Head of the Charles Regatta, the world's largest two-day rowing event which draws 7,500 competitors from throughout the globe annually.
The Simmons "collegiate fours" women's team placed third out of 27 teams nationwide with a time of 20:53.769, to capture a bronze medal.
The Simmons boat finished behind Bucknell and Penn State universities, both Division I schools.
"It was a great performance," said Simmons's head coach Nik Kurmakov, a former national team coach in the Ukraine and Russia. "The team worked very hard over the past two years to get to this point. It is a huge step forward for our team and the Simmons athletic department as a whole."
Topping off the day's competition, Coach Kurmakov won a gold medal with his teammates in the "senior-master eights" men's competition.
The Sharks wrap up the fall portion of their schedule on Oct. 28 at the Seven Sisters Regatta in Amherst, Mass.
- The Nation’s First School of Social Work, Simmons College School of Social Work, Welcomes Inaugural Class of Online Students
July 23, 2014
- Sub-Saharan African Students Attend U.S. Department of State Program on Women’s Leadership at Simmons College
July 17, 2014
- Simmons College Names New Vp For Enrollment Management, John F. Dolan
July 10, 2014
- Simmons College Names Regina M. Pisa Chair of Board of Trustees
June 25, 2014
- Contrary to Popular View, Working Women Do Negotiate For Career Success, Study Says
June 13, 2014
- See All 2014 Releases »
- 2014 Release Archive
- 2013 Release Archive
- 2012 Release Archive
- 2011 Release Archive
- 2010 Release Archive
- 2009 Release Archive
- 2008 Release Archive
- 2007 Release Archive
- 2006 Release Archive
- 2005 Release Archive
- 2004 Release Archive
Subscribe to Feed
Director of Marketing/Communications
Kalimah Redd Knight