BOSTON (December 7, 2006) — Simmons College President Susan C. Scrimshaw has been named one of the top 100 people in Massachusetts who have influenced the Hispanic community in 2006.
Scrimshaw was among those named at the Dec. 7 "Powermeter 2006" event in Boston hosted by El Planeta, the largest Spanish language newspaper in New England. El Planeta officials said Scrimshaw was named because of her passion about education, and her awareness and support of the Hispanic population in Massachusetts.
Scrimshaw, internationally recognized in the field of public health and improving the health of diverse populations, became president of Simmons College in July 2006. She was formerly dean of the School of Public Health at the University of Illinois, Chicago. Her research and advocacy has focused on access to health and health services in Hispanic and African American communities in the United States and Latin America.
Among her many honors, Scrimshaw was past president of the board of directors of the U.S.-Mexico Foundation for Science, and was awarded a gold medal as a Hero of Public Health by President Vincent Fox of Mexico.
Scrimshaw was raised in Guatemala until age 16, when she and her family returned to the Boston area where her father chaired the Department of Nutrition and Food Science at MIT.
- The Nation’s First School of Social Work, Simmons College School of Social Work, Welcomes Inaugural Class of Online Students
July 23, 2014
- Sub-Saharan African Students Attend U.S. Department of State Program on Women’s Leadership at Simmons College
July 17, 2014
- Simmons College Names New Vp For Enrollment Management, John F. Dolan
July 10, 2014
- Simmons College Names Regina M. Pisa Chair of Board of Trustees
June 25, 2014
- Contrary to Popular View, Working Women Do Negotiate For Career Success, Study Says
June 13, 2014
- See All 2014 Releases »
- 2014 Release Archive
- 2013 Release Archive
- 2012 Release Archive
- 2011 Release Archive
- 2010 Release Archive
- 2009 Release Archive
- 2008 Release Archive
- 2007 Release Archive
- 2006 Release Archive
- 2005 Release Archive
- 2004 Release Archive
Subscribe to Feed
Director of Marketing/Communications
Kalimah Redd Knight